Vinyl pool leak. Now or spring?

We have an 18 y/o in ground pool with a 9 y/o liner that decided to develop a leak. We are closing anyway for the winter. Any particular reason we can't wait until Spring and just change it when we open? Don't know for sure where the leak is. Anything I should look at that might be of importance in making the decision.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Any possibility of the water from the leak freezing and causing damage?

Reply to
Lou

on 10/1/2007 10:47 AM Kurt Ullman said the following:

How bad is the leak? Will the pool survive the winter without completely draining? What kind of winter pool cover will you be using? The solid type or the mesh type? The mesh type will help in adding to the water level with rain and melting snow. Most pool liners are only guaranteed to last 10 years. You might think ahead to replacing it next spring, then it won't matter if it all drains away over the winter.

Reply to
willshak

Its a roughly 20,000 gallon pool and we probably lost about 2 inches of water over 48 hours or so. Solid type of cover. I just wanted to make sure that there would not be additional damage to pool itself either from the leak freezing and thawing (we don't really know where it is) or if the water going down might cause somethign else to happen that would damage the pool itself.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

on 10/1/2007 12:36 PM Kurt Ullman said the following:

You may be lucky in that the leak is in the liner side high up and no more water can leak out. Some water leaks are in the skimmers. Do you use the bottle type plastic skimmer drain closers that are supposed to take the pressure of freezing water rather than the skimmer sides? Perhaps there is a crack in the skimmer(s). If so, the leakage will stop when the water level in the pool is lower than the skimmer entrance. If the leak is in the bottom of the pool, all bets are off. Find and seal it (brrrrr).

Reply to
willshak

The solid cover will tear if there's no water underneath and enough snow or water accumulates. (Been there.)

If the pool empties completely it might pop out of the ground. (Or so I've heard.)

Reply to
Dan Espen

My solid cover was held by water tubes. As the spring approached, the amount of cover overlapping the pool became shorter and shorter as the weight of the water on the cover dragged the water tubes towards the edge. Right now, I am waiting for my delivery of a mesh cover that is attached to hooks drilled into the concrete. No more of those f*****g water tubes that were a pain to fill and empty every fall and spring, and the removal of all the water, leaves and debris that accumulated on the cover.

Reply to
willshak