Vinyl House Siding

Page 1 of 2
I know this has been discussed before, but I could not pull up the past posts dated 2004.
I am thinking about purchasing a nine-year old home with vinyl siding. It looks perfect, and hardly has any pieces that overlap. Most of that is on the back of the home.
Can you please give me any negative/positive comments?
Many thanks.
Corinne
Hail breaks the siding if its large, especially if its old and brittle, then there's the problem of matching whats on the house if replacement is needed. Tom

Good vinyl siding will last for many years and takes little care. My house was built in 1978. The siding is still in excellent condition. I wash it down maybe once a year. The climate we are in ranges from below zero to well into the 90's in the summer.
I'd not hesitate at all to buy another house with it or to have it put on my house. If it was wood siding, I'd have painted or stained a half dozen times by now. As I approach 60, I'm not looking for more work around the house.

I'm looking at Royal board and batten siding for my house. Entire house (not just gables or accents).
I like the vertical aspect of it, I'd possibly go for cedar board and batten but, like you, I want it to be low-care. But I'm a little concerned that it's unusual in this area (upstate NY), and may seem "commercial" to some.
Any thoughts on that?
Banty

I like the board and batten too. As long as your house looks right with it, I'd go for it. Some house styles it would be out of place, but that is just my opinion.

It's a small ranch house. I think it will fit. But I have tastes different from most of the surrounding. I have very few examples to look at - the siding dealer gave me 1 address for residential, and it looked OK on a pseudo-contemporary (actually I would have done more with it and trimmed out the windows in a contrasting color).
Banty
Edwin:
Thanks so much. This is exactly what I wanted to hear.
Corinne
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

You get what you pay for with siding. The better stuff is thicker, is the same color throughout and will last MANY years if installed properly.
I had been doing work to the front of my home. I ripped off the aluminum siding, then the old cement fiberboard under it. To clean the place up a bit I bought 4 squares of siding, some j-channel and the starter strips. 300.00 bucks (delivered) and 2 solid days of work and my house was resided in the front. ( I couldnt stand to look at tar paper and tyvek for long)

Here in our humid climate, vinyl siding is often applied over wood siding and thus hides raging wood rot caused by the high humidity over an extended period of time. But if there is no wood siding underneath, it can be great.
Thank you JimL. I think I am in good shape then.
Corinne
JimL wrote:

Personally, I don't like vinyl siding because of a few problems I've encountered professionally (home inspector). In some cases:
1. Thin vinyl tend to crack easily, so you have to be careful where you place a ladder. The older it gets, the more brittle it gets... it's inherent in all plastics exposed to weather. The UV factor. 2. It fades. Don't kid yourself. You'll never match a 10-year-old job unless it's white, and even then it dulls out. 3. Bees and carpenter ants love vinyl siding and the associated flashing/trim that leaves gaps which can be used to enter the voids behind the siding/trim. Carpenter ants especially like damp wood to nest in and no... they don't eat the wood, just nest there. 4. Powerwashing repeatedly seems to put an inordinate amount of moisture behind the siding which can cause mold as well as provide moisture for carpenter ants. 5. Seems that if a house is heavily shrouded with trees, the ones with vinyl siding seem to get more instances of greenish mildew than wooden siding. Can't really explain the consequences though... just what I see on a daily basis here in New England. 6. Purely aesthetic, but I don't think you can paint vinyl siding and expect it to last 7-10 years, plus you can't paint darker colors because vinyl expands and contracts like crazy and that might cause paint to blister/peel. So going from Hyannis Tan to Nantucket Charcoal <grin> is a no-no.
Mike

says...

Mike, thanks.
I'd be really interested in the opinion of a home inspector in New England - what do you think is the best form of siding, esp. concerning bees and ants. I'm in upstate NY (non-coastal).
Banty

Not much building experience though.

This is a no brainer, it doesn't take a professional in any field to figure out cheap, thin, recycled material can't match up to a good quality vigin vinyl.
What did you do? Bust through some siding because you didn't know how to properly set a ladder?

Well, hello. What doesn't fade?

Damp wood? This isn't caused by vinyl siding. This would be caused by infiltration because of poor workmanship which could include a variety of any of the exterior coverings.
Any structure is subject to bees and carpenter ants.
Do you preform a moisture test or infra-red test which concludes all vinyl siding leaks? Absolutely absurd.

If you haven't a clue how to powerwash properly, you will blow water under the siding. Heck, I've even seen busted windows, and shredded decks because of improper use of a powerwasher. How do you draw a conclusion this is because it's vinyl siding?

Paint will absorb part of coloring, water can not pentrate vinyl, hence the mildew stays on the surface. This is really basic knowledge which you should know about.

Good Grief. Vinyl is a no/low maintenance building material. You're comparing painting a wood siding, to vinyl. Apple & Oranges anyone?
I used to be in the trades for 26 + years. I just hate it when I see someone with absolutely no building knowledge, put down a product with absurd off the wall remarks.
Vinyl siding, like any other product has cheaper stuff and the more expensive stuff.
The virgin solid color (throughout the material its the same color) with a decent thickness isnt bad stuff. I used it and it looks great. You should NEVER need to paint it. Nor would I even try. As for it fading, only time will really tell. The stuff has gotten better over the years.
If you dont either use tyvek or at least tar paper under it, your just asking for problems.
Only thing about vinyl siding is that when its REEEEALLY cold out the siding can become very stiff and easily break if something is thrown hard at it. The thicker stuff would probably be less prone to this happening.
So you so much for the great info.
Corinne
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:15:38 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmelt.com wrote:
You might be interested in Nova Brik mortarless brick siding. Today, I attended a training secession conducted by Nova Brik. I am not a contractor but a DIY homeowner.
Last two weeks I was repairing wood rots and siding around the house together with the painter. I asked my painter, if I need to replace the siding should I choose aluminum or vinyl. He said neither as both will hide woods' rots behind the siding and aluminum will dents. Vinyl becomes brittles as it age. In a few months I will replace the siding of the house we planned to buy after selling our present house.
Nova Brik originates from Canada, licensed and manufacture in MO. Rather wasting bandwidth here, you might be interested to explore further in their website www.novabrik.com
BTW, the training is free. At the end of the secession, they gave each attendees a VCD, VHS tape, training manual, certificate and etc. Go to their website and find out if they conduct free training secession in your City. The four hours you spent, will be well worth it. After the training you will be a certify installer and 75% of the attendees were contractors.

Interesting material. I'd like to see if it would work well with ICF construction. They don't have anything in the instructions about it but that would be a natural pair up. ICF's like www.standardicf.com or www.integraspec.com

Please excuse me. I'm not familiar with ICF. Why don't you call Nova Brik, they might conduct a training secession near you or maybe your Home Centers may have a Nova Brik mockup? I saw the mockup up at Lowes and I signed up for the training.
I have an extra CD, if you like I could send it to you :-)
Disclaimer: I have no relation with Nova Brik, just a homeowner, who plan to install Nova Brik.

I'm going to contact them. ICFs are insulating concrete forms. They make a strong, quiet very energy efficient house.

Thank you for the information and ICFs site. I am not trying to oversell Nova Brik, but after viewing the CD this evening, I am convince I could manage. I have all the necessary tools except a chop saw to cut the bricks. Since you are an experience woodworker, do you think I might damage my 12" wood miter saw, if I replace the carbide blade with a diamond blade for dry cutting?
BTW, DIY homeowner thinking of upgrading their house to vinyl siding should check out Nova Brik and ask for the CD or DVD or VHS. Better still attend one of their free training class.
www.novabrik.com
Disclaimer: Again definitely no relation to Nova Brik!