Vinyl flooring touchup...HELP

Hi-

I layed down two seperate pieces of vinyl that was cut from a roll. We had our kitchen remodeled recently so I used the left over to jazz up our entry way. The entry way is about 9 square feet.

The vinyl looks like square foot marble tiles. The way I cut each piece from the roll was by cutting along the cream colored line on each roll, but when i lay the two pieces together you can see about

1/16 of the wood floor in some spots along the line because my cut job wasn't perfect.

My question is - is there something i can use to put over the line to make it look like the vinyls is synced perfectly with the other piece. Dumb question...could I use something like caulk? If I could use something to touch it up I think it'll look good.

Thanks for any advice in advance!!

Reply to
ricknielsenshat

Since the entryway is so small my first idea is to just start over. There's no good way to fix this. No one likes to tear out their work but this does seem like a small enough job to justify. If you used a plywood underlayment tear-out will be a lot easier.

Otherwise, caulk is OK with me, what the heck? Use a silicon that has a similar color. Be very sparing with the caulk so don't get it anywhere except where needed. It will never look right no matter what. You just don't get two chances with sheet vinyl. Repairs can be done but are almost always noticeable.

Reply to
Lawrence

Cut two pieces of vinyl so that they overlap by about an inch, but the pattern appears continuous. Cut a line through both thicknesses roughly down the centre of the overlap. It can even be done freehand and doesn't even need to be straight- try wavy or zigzag, it doesn't matter.

Dump the offcut from the top layer then lift the edge of the top layer and fish out the offcut from the bottom layer. when you drop both layers the cut edges will match perfectly (because you've cut exactly the same line on exactly the same part of the pattern on both pieces).

The same method can be applied when jointing wallpaper and laminating particle board. I've used it many times when veneering wood.

HTH

Reply to
Aardvark

Thanks for all of your responses!! The overlapping idea would have worked best...I'll know that the next time.

I'm out of flooring so i think i'll try the caulk idea. It's in our side entrance so if I only use a tad hopefully it won't be that noticeable. Plus I'll have a rug there for wiping our feet.

Thanks again!

Reply to
ricknielsenshat

A seam down the middle of your entryway probably won't hold up to traffic unless you use a seam kit on it, and that would cost as much as a new rem from Home Depot, Menards, or Lowes. Toss the old stuff and spend the $12 on a new piece.

JK

Reply to
Big_Jake