vinyl flooring on our sundeck

Hi all I hope someone can give me some help. We have a sundeck over our carport. We replaced the plywood subfloor and are going to hire contractor to lay rolls of vinyl. But we are confused about thickness, so many different opinions from contractors.

40 mil, 55 mil, 60 mil. Also fabric backed verus plastic backed. Can anyone give us their experience. Also does it tear easily from patio furniture? And does the plywood have to be bone dry for them to lay it? Thanks for all your help in advance.
Reply to
Ninip

Vinyal outside? exposed to the sun and weather... Sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Is the product even rated to be outside? Thicker would be better in my mind. Fabric backing and water sounds......... dumb. If you have metal furnature then there is always a risk of injuring the floor. You could put the plastic sliders on the feet of the furnature. Again I do not know if they will hold up to the elements.

Reply to
SQLit

The sun would likly fade or yellow the material unless the manufacturer put plenty of UV stabalizer in the recipe. Doubt they talk much about that in the product literature though.

Thicker material costs more and has a generally softer feel that may be unnessary in an outdoor setting. The thinner material may in fact tear less easily but ask the contractor for an opinion on that. it will definately leave less noticable dents due to table legs.

Fabric backing indicates a higher quality construction and likly cost more. it may give more tear resistance but marring and gouging may still happen. Moisture may bother this construction more.

Is the subfloor ever going to get wet from underneith. I would go with the thinnest plastic backed product with a low price tag since it probably won't last as long as it would indoors. Make sure the adhesive is exceptionally waterproof as well.

Unless the plywood can dry from beneith, it should be dry (maybe not sahara-bone dry but dry enough) so that you do not have rot or delamination problems with the floor later cause you sealed in the water.

Remember, vinyl flooring is designed for indoor use and thus premium enhancements are designed to make it feel or look moire luxurious or like another material. These may not be desired goals for an outdoor application and a cheaper material may suit your needs better.

Reply to
PipeDown

Reply to
Ninip