Vinly and aluminum siding...pros and cons?

Got wood siding, that needs repainting and am considering getting vimyl siding. Paing job costs over 5 grand. But vinyl siding looks so damned ugly. Doing just a bit of research in archived messages, it appears that vinyl siding is not as maintenance free as advertised. Read that it is brittle in cold weather and rattles during windy conditions.
pros and cons of siding?
Thanks
<< Got wood siding, that needs repainting and am considering getting vinyl siding. >>
If you presently have sound wood siding, why on earth would you want to spoil the looks of your house with vinyl? In your place I would interview a number of painting contractors and do a serious analysis of their quotes/proposals. If there is major prep work needed the price will reflect that. Given a fairly large house, with average prep work, and using some of premium paints like Benjamin Moore, $4-5 K may not be out of line. Remember that a repaint over a good job will be cheaper in later years, too. HTH
Joe

We just went through this a couple days ago, but anyway.
GOOD QUALITY vinyl today no longer gets brittle in the cold, and it will rattle in the wind if not put on right. But as far as what it looks like, that is strictly an objective opinion, especially given today's choices. Check this out: http://www.owenscorning.com/around/exteriors_new/changelook.asp
Dave

I'm in New England where it does get cold. House was built in 1978 and has medium grade of vinyl siding. Never heard it rattle. As for maintenance, only thing I've ever done is wash it down with a hose every year, some soapy water on a long handled brush maybe twice in the 23 years I've been there.
Admittedly, it was the builders or original owners choice and appearance could be better. That said, the better, n ewer grades are pretty goodlooking. Don't look at the Discount Brothers Closeout Store, but go to a reputable lumber yard for the better choices. Ed

In our coastal climate, either of the sidings will likely cause mold/rot and destroy your wood. Be careful.
I had vinyl coated steel siding put on about 12 years ago old house had cedar siding. looks good except for the seams they do have seamless siding that I would look into now. The big thing is the installation so when you go to look at homes the company has done ask who the installers where by name see if you can see a difference in quality. out house had one spot that was pretty tall due to walkout basement and we had 1 older guy in his 50's do the whole house defiantly a quality job. it is also a good time to think about sliding door /window replacement!
What material is used for the siding depends on where you live I am in Colorado so no salt air to damage the steel siding. Do get hail and the vinyl siding gets pretty torn up in hail. Steel will dent but the vinyl just shreds! Steel came with 50 year warranty against anything including hail secondary insurance but it stated they would do one side of house or to break point if colors could not be matched was Alside siding!
Wayne

i put my vinyl on myself. my vinyl does'nt rattle in the wind. only maintenence i see would be washing it every now and then.

Hi, In my city, couple years ago, big hail storm struck a quadrant of whole city. Wiped out every single vinyl siding creating a billion dollar insurance payout. Wood siding just needed repainting. Al. siding did not do any better than Vinyl. Even put a few holes on stucco walls. Tony
A non e mus wrote:

i think you meant "rubber" Trojan instead of vinyl. and do not wash and re-use it.............................how gross!