Viewing CCTV wirelessly?

DVR is Swann SWDR 41425H-HIS, presently working with LAN cable to router then wirelessly to PC. Looking at possibility of wirelessly connecting DVR to router, Googling comes up with:

telling me it should work with this:
since it requires no drivers. DVR manual says USB port is for mouse or USB drive, no mention of anything else so the big question is will the Netgear adapter worK? Alternatively could I use an old ISP supplied router connected via LAN cable to DVR by setting it up as a bridge? That looks a bit complicated and would hope for a simpler way.

Kenny Cargill

Reply to
Kenny

While I have no direct experince with that DVR, it would appear that its USB port is not meant for networking. You may want to consider an Ethernet-to-WiFi adapter such as this one:

Retired

Per Kenny:

No experience with DVR, but if the cams are regular IP cams I would hope that each cam has a web page built in to it and that web page could be accessed either by a browser or any one of many dedicated IP cam access utilities.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Doubtful. Just because you have a "(hardware) compatible interface" doesn't mean the software will USE that interface to support a particular functionality.

E.g., each of my NAS devices (disk-on-a-wire) have USB A connectors. So, your device could conceivably plug into them. I'd be very confident stating that it wouldn't "add a wireless capability" to them. Just like plugging a mouse into that same connector won't give me "mouse capabilities" (they wouldn't make sense on a NAS device -- no "display"!)

You can explore "power line modems/bridges". Think of them as *wired* extension cables that use the wiring in your home to transfer the data.

You might also be able to use a LWAP (light-weight access point) for the same job. (the powerline devices would be more "turn key")

Reply to
Don Y

I have only 3 cameras all on wireless, 2 outdoor, 1 indoor. WiFi router and NAS with surveillance station . Router and NAS sit side by side. I am able to remotely access the cameras if needed like while we're on holiday. I am sure wired cameras are much more stable. have only

Reply to
Tony Hwang