view through fireplace

I have this wood burning fireplace, 2 by 3 feet, that has one opening in the living room, and one in the dining room. THe only protection it has is wire metal mesh, which is not very efficient (most of the time when I burn wood, I finish up with some burns on my hardwoodfloor. Needless to say I don't use it very often, and only with close supervision....)

I was thinking of closing the fireplace on one side, with a fixed glass panel/window, and buy a fireplace glass door for the other side ( saw a few models at home depot or lowes)

Would that work ? What kind of glass do I need ? How do I attach it to the fireplace ? any suggestions appreciated.

thanks. Fred.

Reply to
fredinstl

I'd not use a fixed glass as it would be a real PITA to clean. Should have some method of removal.

What I would do is skip the HD and Lowes and go to a real fireplace place and talk to them. They probably have done this a few dozen times and will know exactly what to do.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I bought a home in the upper midwest that has a two way fireplace between the living room and the family room. I still hear the previous owners words ringing in my ears, "We rarely used the fireplace". The first time I built a fire I sat in the family room enjoying it until I smelled smoke. Walking over to the living room all I could see was smoke billowing throughout the room coming from the fireplace. Yes the flu wa open.

The problem was that the openings in each room were not of equal size and the flu had been built too large. I had the flu restricted with a steel damper and had glass doors installed on each side to equalize the openings.

Now when I have a fire the smoke goes up the chimney...

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
TRN

The flue could have been sized for a double room opening, so the draw could be affected. Also, ceramic glass like they use on wood stoves could be used to block off one room, but it would get lots of burned-on tar yellow/black/brown deposits, which after a few fires would be dark, ugly, and hell to clean. You may just need a better pair of screens, re the burns on the floor.

Reply to
Roger T.

Ceramic glass if you are going to burn a fire with it closed. Tempered glass will eventually blow up.

Reply to
Art

I have a double sided fireplace and both sides have the bi-fold glass doors. I bought the house from my dad and he was not the original owner, so i'm not sure where they were puirchased from. I would think any fireplace supply house would have them.

BTW, I have sinced closed off the chimney and put in ventless gas logs....

Reply to
The Gorton Fishermnan