video surveillance

Page 2 of 2
I've considered trying to get a remote camera for my condo patio. I don't know much about electronics, but I have read that remote camera can interfere with neighbors TV and/or radio. It would have to be motion sensor, I guess. I have no idea what to look for in terms of quality, sensitivity, etc.
FrankLee wrote:

I suggest an inexpensive homemade system. You need:
1) A regular personal desktop computer. You need 1600 mhz CPU or better IMHO. Larger hard disks are preferred. Note, you can get Western Digital 320 gig harddrives at Newegg.com for less than $100.
2) A camera interface board for the computer. These are commonly called a DVR board. An excellent value interface board is the 4400R or clones.
Look here for a 4400R clone for $80:
http://www.inesun.com/search.php?keys=es416&series=0
3) A software surveillance package. The best of class that I've found is Go1984: http://www.go1984.de/en/order.html
Buy the "standard" edition. Make damn sure you enable time and date stamping on the recording (very easy to do).
4) Analog cameras that hook up to the interface board. I use hi-res black and white Sony's. Some people prefer color. There are tons of different types available cheap. Google "surveillance camera".
You can hide all cameras for a covert operation. Alternatively, have one visible camera and covert cams watching the visible cam(s) and other areas too.
I have a mix of visible and invisible cams in my system. It's interesting to video people intentionally avoiding the visible camera.
If you pick an choose -- and already have a good personal computer -- you should be able to keep costs between $300 and $400. Good luck.

You can get a cheap USB webcam that comes with software that will start recording when motion is detected. The quality of the recording isn't going to be the greatest but if you clever enough you can place the webcam somewhere near. That would be the cheapest system I can think of. Logitech or Creative both make cameras and have motion detecting software, or get 3rd party software, lots of them are free downloads. www.creative.com http://us.creative.com/products/welcome.asp?category !8&WT.cg_nmpaigns&WT.mc_id62 www.logitech.com http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/176/3975&cl=us,en or http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/webcams/&cl=us,en

Get some motion lights....10.00 per fixture at Wallyworld.
On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:34:49 -0600, "J.A. Michel"

He is up about $600.00 now. Motions lights will allow the guy to see better in the dark, if that's when he does his deeds.
OP why 3 years of tolerance?