Video of Griffin-Campbell Contractors Demolishing Building Days before Deadly Accident

http://www.ragingchickenpress.org/2013/06/06/video-of-griffin-campbell-contractors-demolishing-building-days-before-deadly-accident/
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

just think how much better they would have done with even less regulation and rules

http://www.ragingchickenpress.org/2013/06/06/video-of-griffin-campbell-contractors-demolishing-building-days-before-deadly-accident/

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57588323/philadelphia-building-collapse-leads-to-charges-against-equipment-operator/

Back when my and my coworker's kids were young, we used to grab the Wednesday paper and check out the police blotter section. They would publish a full page of mug shots very similar to the one in that link. We would vote on which one we should call to babysit our kids.
I'm on dial-up, and so I'm lucky to maintain a download speed of 4 kilobytes per second, and downloading tens or hundred megabyte video files take hours and even days.
Is there anything on the video that looks like the bucket operator doesn't know what he's doing or is working dangerously?
CNN reported that his blood was tested after the building collapsed and indications of prescription pain killers and marijuana were found in his blood. But, they didn't say whether the amounts of those drugs would have been high enough to impair his performance or judgement.
--
nestork

On Saturday, June 8, 2013 1:14:59 PM UTC-7, nestork wrote:

If I were doing it I would have started demolishing it manually from the to p and wouldn’t have brought in an excavator until it was the same height as the building next door.
snipped-for-privacy@diybanter.com says...

Well if that is the one story building, right NEXT DOOR to the four story building being torn down, which the higher building collapsed onto...
No one should have been in that one story building! If you watch buildings being torn down, you will see that brick walls can fall all over the place - not just neatly fall in one direction (no matter who is operating the equipment).
So someone should have made them close that one story building until demolition was completed. In my area the city or fire department would have required that.
Also the demolition company should have refused to tear down that building if the neighbors refused to vacate.
Bill wrote:

I just watched the video, and I am amazed that not one person in the area noticed what a dangerous situation it was as they were demo-ing the building attached to the thrift store. No bystander, thrift store owner or customer, police officer, firefighter, fire/rescue EMT, property owner across the street, etc. It would be one thing if the thrift store appeared to be not open (as in the video) and people may have concluded that it too was being torn down. But, an open thrift store, with people going in and out, while the attached building was being demo-ed sure seems like it should have caused some observer to question what was going on. What a sad tragedy for all of those who were killed or harmed by this fiasco.
On 6/10/2013 3:22 PM, TomR wrote:

Just one more consequence of "The Dumbassification Of America" o_O
TDD
Philly Building Inspector Commits Suicide
http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2013/06/13/philly-building-inspector-commits-suicide.html