Video - exploding water heater

Today's paper had an article about checking the relief valve on the water heater, this link shows a "demonstration" of the power of an exploding water heater...
http://www.waterheaterblast.com/index.html
Oren

Neat. Steam sure has lot of power once built up.

@ a 12 gallon tank in the demo... (locomotives I bet were hell!)
Oren
snipped-for-privacy@at.us wrote on 25 Sep 2005:

Actually, the worse problem was riverboats. People who weren't killed in the explosion itself were likely to drown.
--
Doug Boulter

To reply by e-mail, remove the obvious word from the e-mail address

Thanks for posting that. I just saw a TV show about inventions. It said that exploding water heaters were pretty common before the T&P valve was invented.

I thought that was what fusible plugs were for.
THE VIDEO LOOKS LIKE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SOMEONE TAKES POP'S ADVICE.

snipped-for-privacy@at.us wrote:

Very impressive, but I wonder how much "launch" they would have gotten if they didn't start them out from down in a hole which must have acted somewhat like a mortar barrel?
I bet they wouldn't have flown anywhere near as high if they were just sitting on the ground when they blew.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Back in the 76/7 oil crisis I saw the results of a steam explosion in a basement. Neighbor installed an old wood kitchen range with a water back. Too bad the pipes had been capped and there must have been a bit of water still in there. Impressive. Total redo of a finished basement. Fortunately there was no penetration of first floor.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

I was going to comment lift mightn't have been what it was (but w/ slow dialup I didn't even try to see the video, but I can imagine having worked for 30 years w/ high pressure steam cycles even w/o seeing this example) but that schrapnel would have been much greater...
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 21:00:31 -0500, Duane Bozarth

low resolution (dial-up) link
http://www.waterheaterblast.com/waterheaterblast-low.wmv
On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 20:38:15 -0400, Jeff Wisnia

Not so high? OK, but not by much. The pressure wants to make a cylindrical tank round. The ends usually are the first to go vs. a longitudinal seam. The ends are flat. It usually goes _UP_ due to years of sediment/scale inside resting on the bottom. Scale act as a wonderful insulator causing advanced abuse/use on the bottom due to overheating and loss of elasticity.
This is more typical:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/33094_boom28.shtml
-zero

* read "overheating and then loss...."

Jeff,
Watts used to have a video of one set off above ground. Results were similiar.
Stretch

Except they don't mention how to check it... Just lift the lever on the valve/

Zackly!

Yeh, I made that mistake on my 12yo heater. Valve worked fine, but wouldn't shut off.

I tested mine twice. Had to buy a new valve twice too.