Very small bathroom sink - how to make more space?

Hi, We own a raised ranch with a downstairs apartment. The apartment bathroom is oddly shaped and has a small pedestal sink which is 13" deep (rim to wall). Due to the placement of the door we can't put in a deeper sink/vanity. This

13" sink is tiny but worse is that there is no place to put items along side it. I'm toying with the idea of cutting out a shape in PDF or plywood that would surround the sink (I'm thinking of a 15" radius semi-circle with the sink in the middle). I would like to mount it on the wall so that the sink "overhangs" the wood a little and I could caulk (or something else?) the gap. My other thought is to hang curtains on this and even mount a couple more semi-circle shelves below.

Does this sound like a doable project for a mildly handy person? I have a small 9" bandsaw, drill, circular saw, drill press and various hand tools. I'm not too concerned on how to do the semi-circle. If I can't do it on my little bandsaw, I can use a friend's bigger one. What befuddles me is how to cut the shape to surround the sink. No only is it not perfectly oval but the sides slope. How does one match such an irregular shape?

And lastly does anyone have links or info on a similar project?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jung

Couple of thoughts:

Instead of ply, buy a hunk of counter-top material at BigBox. That way you'll have an attractive and waterproof surface. Or- make your ply piece and have a sheet of Formica (your choice of finish) made to fit.

If the budget would allow, have a "cultured marble" basin cast right into a countertop design. I did this in a situation exactly like yours and it turned out very nicely.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Put a piece of cardboard on the floor beneath the sink and hang a plumb bob from various points on the edge of the sink, marking on the cardboard where the bob touches. Do this for as many points as you have patience for - the more the better - and sketch a smooth line connecting them. Assuming the sink is symmetric, you only need to do half of it, and fold the cardboard over to get the other half.

Cut the cardboard and test fit it, and use it as a template to cut your sheet material.

Good luck,

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

I have the exact same problem. I am considering buying a vanity that I know won't fit, and then cutting the sides on a table saw so that it fits within the door trim. Then have a marble top custom-made.

I may even look at buying a vanity with drawers, and see if there is a way to shorten them, and put in new drawer guides.

It would sure this BR more usable.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

I have never done it Chip's way. It sounds interesting.

You can also buy what is called a copycat which will conform to the shape of the sink and then you trace this onto your cardboard. The drawback is that the largest one of these I have seen will only cover a about 6" at a time.

Whichever you do make it fit with cardboard before you cut any wood.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt