Very OT, what do you call this?

This is very OT but I'm a regular reader/poster and I hope you will help me.

My favorite army surplus store closed down and I need to buy a couple of the belts they sold, but I don't know what it is called, to search for it.

It's a heavy woven nylon or ??? belt, a little over an inch wide. It has a little brass end to keep it from unravelling, but has no hole in it for the buckle. Instead the end of the belt slides into the plain brass buckle and sticks there (a little transverse rod in the buckle squeezes on it when you try to pull the belt out of the buckle, and it doesn't come out until you grab both ends of the rod with your thumb and index finger and pull it back.)

It's good because the same belt works while you loser, or gain, weight.

It comes in olive drab, khaki, black, dark blue, and maybe other colors.

I called this an army belt, but searching for that gives everything else but, including belts from foreign armies and belts with holes for hanging canteens etc.

What is it called? Thanks.

Reply to
mm

-snip-

We called them web belts in the 1970ish Marines.

1300+ folks on Ebay still do---

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You mean like this :

A google search for military belts will show lots of places for them.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I never heard the term before, but you and 1300+ ebayers can't be wrong.

I think I did, but I'm not positive I ever heard the term army belt. I may have just made it up.

Thanks a lot, Jim. Just what I needed to know.

Reply to
mm

Hey, that's it too. Maybe instead of the colors I usually get, I 'll get bright red or, from Ebay, "gay rainbow".

Thanks, Ralph.

Reply to
mm

I think "web belt" is just fine, but the key is the buckle. from the postings I see no clue as what its name is.

I have bought such belts in regular stores. I like them, but the quality of the buckles leaves something to be desired. How well the work is determined by how well jamming takes place. It depends upon the accuracy of the slot. The buckle I have is too tinny to maintain good accruacy. I have had to use vise grips to manipulate the slot.

Bill

Reply to
Salmon Egg

mm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm in NC in Ft Bragg country. Stores are all over the place here. Sample of one. Pics on web site. They do ship. Maybe better pricing on both products and shipping.

Red Green

I recently bought a couple in assorted colors from my local Academy Sports store.

Reply to
KC

Well, in the past I have bought mine at Sunny's Surplus, but Sunny's is no more. Bankrupt. All were good except one where the part with teeth, that went into the belt, came out from the main part. I bend the main part and I think that took care of it.

We'll, or I'll see what the quality is of whatever I buy. I may look in stores around here also, if I see any. But I still needed to know the name of what I was looking for.

It turns out, I said woven and you all said web, and the words are closely related etymologically.

Actually my old ones haven't worn out, but I'm too fat for 42 inch. So sad.

Reply to
mm

Hi, I still have one in khaki color issued at boot camp in '61.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Until I read this I forgot that there is a sporting goods store about

3 miles from here, from a chain in NYC. I may be near there today.

Wow. I can't top that.

Reply to
mm

Also check out Boy Scout or Royal Ranger supplies.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

[--]

Web belt - it's also available from hunting and fishing outlets - Bass Pro Shops have them --

Reply to
JimR

Thanks. On the web, web belts were cheap but shipping high. I found H&H Camping Store that had several colors, 2.95 to 3.95, in 3 lenghths.

Electronics etc. often cheaper on the web, not web belts.

Reply to
mm

I just bought one from Cabela's. No slip buckle. It is a fairly heavy web belt. There was a choice of several colors and it was on sale. Perhaps it still is. (Can't check, blocked at work)

Reply to
Thomas