Very OT - Computers (A BIG Thanks Everyone)

I don't the speed, etc. but will try to figure it out.

Thanks.>

Reply to
Corinne

Corinne

Thanks for this info. Dottie.

I know what you are saying. I have been very lucky with this computer, but I only do the basic things on it.

Reply to
Corinne

Of course, no matter what you do it's still LESS SECURE than a (much simpler and so more reliable) ethernet cable, preferably located entirely within an area you control.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Wasn't that already answered?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Probably marginally. Many, if not most, of the MSoft updates have to do with exploits that anyone can use to get control of your computer, even through the ever popular ethernet cable. Don't know the stats, but it would seem this kind or attack would be much more likely to happen than the drive by.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Too lazy, unknowing, unaware makes no difference. I still have access to networks where I am an unauthrized user.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

Thank you for the correction.

Doesn't matter, though. Win98 wasn't very good a security anyway and one needed third-party tools to keep the rascals at bat (virus checkers, spyware detectors, etc.).

Reply to
HeyBub

That's why you should take extra precautions to avoid getting caught.

I recommend a Ninja suit. Carry a gun just in case some playground monitor shows up.

Reply to
HeyBub

A year ago I toook my laptop and traced the nearest open network to a house across the street and three doors down. I SHOWED him how I could access his network and see his computer, and told him what he should do to fix it.

I can still access his network.

Clueless...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

They'd have to get by your router, to get to your network if you don't have wireless. The wireless and is another potential point of entry.

Maybe so, but drive-by attacks DO happen (not ALL drive-by. I've heard of people having their dogs carry the equipment). It could be a neighbor who doesn't like you. The added vulnerability from having wireless can never be 0.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Heck the added liability from continuing to breath can never be zero. I guess it is up to the individual's tolerance for risk, AFTER you do the basics (not even setting up the security stuff is negligence). Of course my next door neighbor did not even hide the SSID and left the name as linksys.. so he gets what he deserves(g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

The word you seem to want there is "breathe"

True. Of course the alternative isn't very attractive at all, unlike with networks where wired is possible (and even works better).

OK

Reply to
Mark Lloyd