Very OT - Computers (A BIG Thanks Everyone)

Page 2 of 2

Probably marginally. Many, if not most, of the MSoft updates have to do with exploits that anyone can use to get control of your computer, even through the ever popular ethernet cable. Don't know the stats, but it would seem this kind or attack would be much more likely to happen than the drive by.

They'd have to get by your router, to get to your network if you don't have wireless. The wireless and is another potential point of entry.

Maybe so, but drive-by attacks DO happen (not ALL drive-by. I've heard of people having their dogs carry the equipment). It could be a neighbor who doesn't like you. The added vulnerability from having wireless can never be 0.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Heck the added liability from continuing to breath can never be zero. I guess it is up to the individual's tolerance for risk, AFTER you do the basics (not even setting up the security stuff is negligence). Of course my next door neighbor did not even hide the SSID and left the name as linksys.. so he gets what he deserves(g).

The word you seem to want there is "breathe"

True. Of course the alternative isn't very attractive at all, unlike with networks where wired is possible (and even works better).

OK
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Too lazy, unknowing, unaware makes no difference. I still have access to networks where I am an unauthrized user.

A year ago I toook my laptop and traced the nearest open network to a house across the street and three doors down. I SHOWED him how I could access his network and see his computer, and told him what he should do to fix it.
I can still access his network.
Clueless...

You can continue to use your old computer without fear as long as you have anti-virus software on it. Sure, it is old, but if it does everything you need, no pressing need to upgrade.
OTOH, a new computer will have new bells and whistles and do a lot of things better. If you are so inclined, go ahead and enjoy a new one. Your money, your choice.
Don't toss the old one, but donate it to someone that has none, or to an organization that can use it. Don't bother with the school as they usually have the latest equipment and won't accept an older one. They just raise taxes when they want more.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Johns-Hopkins replaces about 75 computers per year. They used to donate them to various worthy causes, but that process turned into a nightmare. The receipients couldn't make them work, they had no software, the accounting department complained about the tax tracking problems, yak-yak-yak.
How did Johns-Hopkins solve all these problems at a stroke?
They leave the computers on the sidewalk at night for the Urban Fairies.
Dilbert's boss recommends leaving obsolete computers, again at night, on school playgrounds. That's what he did with his refrigerator.
HeyBub wrote:

Ever heard of reclycing. Throwing such old things out in to open is illegal. If you get caught doing that, you'll pay hefty fine. Bring them to proper reclycling depot. We even have drive-in depot up here in Alberta.
Tony Hwang wrote:

That's why you should take extra precautions to avoid getting caught.
I recommend a Ninja suit. Carry a gun just in case some playground monitor shows up.
Corinne wrote:

Microsoft WILL continue critical updates for Win98.

Anti-virus programs are, in the main, indifferent as to what operating system is in place.

Your friend is wrong. Not all computers come with an operating system installed. And of those that do, sometimes it is the wrong operating system. For example, some manufacturers install a knock-off of a 40-year-old operating system designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company whose main architects believed the DOS Command-Line was not arcane enough.

I once read about a lady in New York who had a plan. She saved up little chores around her apartment, then invited a male acquantance who lived in the building for a trade: fix-its for dinner.
She thought: "He can put up a towel rack and it won't fall down - a miracle worker. All I have to do is throw a couple more potatoes in the pot. Heckofa deal."
He thought: "For the right kind of thirty-cent bolt, I get a homemade rack-of-lamb dinner. She's a miracle worker. I'm way ahead."
After dinner, they had sex.

Not according to their website:
End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me July 11, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy. Microsoft will retire public and technical support, ***including security updates**, by this date. (emphasis added)
Existing support documents and content, however, will continue to be available through the Microsoft Support Product Solution Center Web site. This Web site will continue to host a wealth of previous How-to, Troubleshooting, and Configuration content for anyone who may need self-service. Microsoft is retiring support for these products because they are outdated and can expose customers to security risks. We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible.
I also know that as of the last update, Zone Alarm won't work on W98, although the older ones still do.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Thank you for the correction.
Doesn't matter, though. Win98 wasn't very good a security anyway and one needed third-party tools to keep the rascals at bat (virus checkers, spyware detectors, etc.).