Very OT - Computers (A BIG Thanks Everyone)

Page 1 of 2
Wow, this group is totally awesome. I really did not think I would get too many replies concerning the purchase of a new computer.
I have made photocopies of most of your replies, and now I really have my homework cut out for me.
The reason I am planning to get a new computer is that mine is 8 years old, works great, and I love it, but I am still running Windows 98. Because Windows 98 is so old, Microsoft is no longer offering free updates, which I am told, subjects me to viruses even though I have Norton Anti-Virus.
I don't want to send anyone a virus, thus, my search for a new computer.
I was told that my computer is not capable of adding Windows XP Home Edition to it.
I need to find out the specifications as that person never saw my computer, and if I could do that, I would be happy to spend appx. $130 to buy that operating system. My friend said it is a waste of money as a new computer would have that on it.
I wish I were more computer illiterate, but such is life.
Your advice and time is greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.
Corinne
Corinne wrote:

Good luck on your computer purchase. I also suggest a new computer. You won't believe the difference it will make if you run Windows XP. Much more stable and looks great too.
As for suggestions, if I am not too late, look around the internet and do a search for "dell coupons". If you are in the US, Dell offers massive coupons from time to time. Buying a name brand computer will contain Windows so there is no need to purchase a copy of the licence. For someone who just wants to use the machine, consider a Dell. Good customer support and they fix any problems oyu may have during the warranty period. I don't work for Dell, just think they would be a good fit for you.
Good luck!
Well thank you.
I just found out about the coupons yesterday, so thanks again for pointing that out.
I have my homework cut out.
Thanks.
Corinne
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Corinne, if it ain't broke dont fix it. ;-). If you're running 98 and it's stable and your pc is fast enough for you, why spend anything? xp is much more a target for virus writers than 98. The minimum memory for xp is 128 K, 256 recommended.
what speed is your machine? a 233 mhz processor and 128K runs xp fine if your determined to go to xp.
lee

Noted with thanks. Corinne
Abe wrote:

lee houston wrote:

It will boot on such a machine but running "fine" is questionable.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Dottie wrote:

Thanks for this info. Dottie.
I know what you are saying. I have been very lucky with this computer, but I only do the basic things on it.
Corinne
Dottie wrote:

just be aware that Dell is a pretty good machine, but their customer service has gone downhill. didn't used to be that way.

Corinne, if it ain't broke dont fix it. ;-). If you're running 98 and it's stable and your pc is fast enough for you, why spend anything? xp is much more a target for virus writers than 98. The minimum memory for xp is 128 K, 256 recommended.
what speed is your machine? a 233 mhz processor and 128K runs xp fine if your determined to go to xp.
lee
stevie wrote:

Unless OS is reasonably kept up with changes, one day all of a sudden you'll be in big trouble when hell borke loose. I am using Linux but on the side I updated W2K to XPP SP2 on everyting on my home network. (a feew notebooks, desktops). If you run critical job on your PC, it's good idea running two hard drives in Raid 1 format for quick recovery when system gets into trouble. And always back up routinely.
I don't the speed, etc. but will try to figure it out.
Thanks.>

Exposure to viruses requires two things simultaneously. 1 = circulation of a virus that targets your Operating System. There are nowadays fewer viruses than there used to be, and all the new ones target WinXP. Win98 is so old that it does not attract the attention of new virus makers. 2 = some action by you that opens the door to a virus (e.g. clicking on a hot button in an email.) Common sense alone prevents this happening. Good AV software and a hardware firewall (cable router) offer additional tiers of protection for those who doubt common sense is enough.
Taken together, these points suggest you should stay with Win98 until you need hardware or software that requires a different OS.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

or even READING the email, if you use a program that supports HTML (not safe HTML) like OE

Also, avoid wireless networking if possible. It is less secure (and there's plenty of other disadvantages of wireless).

"Common sense" can help a lot here, but it isn't that common.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Note that I can connect to no less than 3 wireless networks in my neighborhood and go ANYWHERE ON INTERNET THAT I WANT.
Wireless is convenient but it allows strangers, maybe even DANGEROUS folks access to your computers.

.

up the security.
Come on, let's get back to the OP's question and help.
On 14 Jul 2006 14:19:17 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Wasn't that already answered?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Of course, no matter what you do it's still LESS SECURE than a (much simpler and so more reliable) ethernet cable, preferably located entirely within an area you control.