Very OT - Computers (A BIG Thanks Everyone)

Wow, this group is totally awesome. I really did not think I would get too many replies concerning the purchase of a new computer.

I have made photocopies of most of your replies, and now I really have my homework cut out for me.

The reason I am planning to get a new computer is that mine is 8 years old, works great, and I love it, but I am still running Windows 98. Because Windows 98 is so old, Microsoft is no longer offering free updates, which I am told, subjects me to viruses even though I have Norton Anti-Virus.

I don't want to send anyone a virus, thus, my search for a new computer.

I was told that my computer is not capable of adding Windows XP Home Edition to it.

I need to find out the specifications as that person never saw my computer, and if I could do that, I would be happy to spend appx. $130 to buy that operating system. My friend said it is a waste of money as a new computer would have that on it.

I wish I were more computer illiterate, but such is life.

Your advice and time is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Corinne

Reply to
Corinne

Good luck on your computer purchase. I also suggest a new computer. You won't believe the difference it will make if you run Windows XP. Much more stable and looks great too.

As for suggestions, if I am not too late, look around the internet and do a search for "dell coupons". If you are in the US, Dell offers massive coupons from time to time. Buying a name brand computer will contain Windows so there is no need to purchase a copy of the licence. For someone who just wants to use the machine, consider a Dell. Good customer support and they fix any problems oyu may have during the warranty period. I don't work for Dell, just think they would be a good fit for you.

Good luck!

Reply to
affiliateian

Corinne, if it ain't broke dont fix it. ;-). If you're running 98 and it's stable and your pc is fast enough for you, why spend anything? xp is much more a target for virus writers than 98. The minimum memory for xp is 128 K, 256 recommended.

what speed is your machine? a 233 mhz processor and 128K runs xp fine if your determined to go to xp.

lee

Reply to
lee houston

Small correction. When you say 128 K, you should be saying 128 MB.

Reply to
Abe

It will boot on such a machine but running "fine" is questionable.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If you haven't ordered yet, be sure and visit the Dell website. From time to time they offer special deals like no shipping charges or upgrades to the size monitor, etc. We own three Dells (purchased at two different times plus one we won) and have been very pleased with the hardware. The customer service is not great because the tech reps speak English with a foreign accent and we have trouble understanding each other. Luckily, I haven't had to call but once since I got newest computer. Windows XP is a huge program but I like it. Eight years is a long time for a computer. Would not put any money into it. Keep it as a backup.

Reply to
Dottie

Exposure to viruses requires two things simultaneously.

1 = circulation of a virus that targets your Operating System. There are nowadays fewer viruses than there used to be, and all the new ones target WinXP. Win98 is so old that it does not attract the attention of new virus makers. 2 = some action by you that opens the door to a virus (e.g. clicking on a hot button in an email.) Common sense alone prevents this happening. Good AV software and a hardware firewall (cable router) offer additional tiers of protection for those who doubt common sense is enough.

Taken together, these points suggest you should stay with Win98 until you need hardware or software that requires a different OS.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

You can continue to use your old computer without fear as long as you have anti-virus software on it. Sure, it is old, but if it does everything you need, no pressing need to upgrade.

OTOH, a new computer will have new bells and whistles and do a lot of things better. If you are so inclined, go ahead and enjoy a new one. Your money, your choice.

Don't toss the old one, but donate it to someone that has none, or to an organization that can use it. Don't bother with the school as they usually have the latest equipment and won't accept an older one. They just raise taxes when they want more.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Corinne, if it ain't broke dont fix it. ;-). If you're running 98 and it's stable and your pc is fast enough for you, why spend anything? xp is much more a target for virus writers than 98. The minimum memory for xp is 128 K, 256 recommended.

what speed is your machine? a 233 mhz processor and 128K runs xp fine if your determined to go to xp.

lee

Reply to
stevie

Johns-Hopkins replaces about 75 computers per year. They used to donate them to various worthy causes, but that process turned into a nightmare. The receipients couldn't make them work, they had no software, the accounting department complained about the tax tracking problems, yak-yak-yak.

How did Johns-Hopkins solve all these problems at a stroke?

They leave the computers on the sidewalk at night for the Urban Fairies.

Dilbert's boss recommends leaving obsolete computers, again at night, on school playgrounds. That's what he did with his refrigerator.

Reply to
HeyBub

Microsoft WILL continue critical updates for Win98.

Anti-virus programs are, in the main, indifferent as to what operating system is in place.

Your friend is wrong. Not all computers come with an operating system installed. And of those that do, sometimes it is the wrong operating system. For example, some manufacturers install a knock-off of a 40-year-old operating system designed by a money-losing division of your local telephone company whose main architects believed the DOS Command-Line was not arcane enough.

I once read about a lady in New York who had a plan. She saved up little chores around her apartment, then invited a male acquantance who lived in the building for a trade: fix-its for dinner.

She thought: "He can put up a towel rack and it won't fall down - a miracle worker. All I have to do is throw a couple more potatoes in the pot. Heckofa deal."

He thought: "For the right kind of thirty-cent bolt, I get a homemade rack-of-lamb dinner. She's a miracle worker. I'm way ahead."

After dinner, they had sex.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not according to their website:

End of support for Windows 98 and Windows Me July 11, 2006 will bring a close to Extended Support for Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me as part of the Microsoft Lifecycle Policy. Microsoft will retire public and technical support,

***including security updates**, by this date. (emphasis added)

Existing support documents and content, however, will continue to be available through the Microsoft Support Product Solution Center Web site. This Web site will continue to host a wealth of previous How-to, Troubleshooting, and Configuration content for anyone who may need self-service. Microsoft is retiring support for these products because they are outdated and can expose customers to security risks. We recommend that customers who are still running Windows 98 or Windows Me upgrade to a newer, more secure Microsoft operating system, such as Windows XP, as soon as possible.

I also know that as of the last update, Zone Alarm won't work on W98, although the older ones still do.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Hi, Unless OS is reasonably kept up with changes, one day all of a sudden you'll be in big trouble when hell borke loose. I am using Linux but on the side I updated W2K to XPP SP2 on everyting on my home network. (a feew notebooks, desktops). If you run critical job on your PC, it's good idea running two hard drives in Raid 1 format for quick recovery when system gets into trouble. And always back up routinely.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, Ever heard of reclycing. Throwing such old things out in to open is illegal. If you get caught doing that, you'll pay hefty fine. Bring them to proper reclycling depot. We even have drive-in depot up here in Alberta.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Try their live chat for support. English, no accent :o)

Reply to
Norminn

or even READING the email, if you use a program that supports HTML (not safe HTML) like OE

Also, avoid wireless networking if possible. It is less secure (and there's plenty of other disadvantages of wireless).

"Common sense" can help a lot here, but it isn't that common.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Note that I can connect to no less than 3 wireless networks in my neighborhood and go ANYWHERE ON INTERNET THAT I WANT.

Wireless is convenient but it allows strangers, maybe even DANGEROUS folks access to your computers.

Reply to
Robert Gammon

In article , Robert Gammon wrote: .

Only if you are too lazy to take the 10 minutes or so it takes to set up the security.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Come on, let's get back to the OP's question and help.

Reply to
affiliateian

Well thank you.

I just found out about the coupons yesterday, so thanks again for pointing that out.

I have my homework cut out.

Thanks.

Reply to
Corinne