Very OT - Computers

Many of the "forced" things gave a user some advances, broader bandwidth, sloooowly move away from 8bit, to 16bit, to 32bit and here comes 64bit. Remember when XP came out there was a test app that checked hardware?

The user got caught between all the hardware and software issues.

Some years ago NASA had or may still have a search for certain chips. I had an old 8bit motherboard with the exact chip. They did not accept from a layman, but wanted large lots of this chip.

WordPerfect bought a company/software called Write and Spell. It ran on 5.25 floppies, IBM X86 CPU, 1 meg RAM, no hard drive. One floppy was the program and the other the dictionary. Had to swap them out to spell check . Then another 5.25 floppy to save the document. This was before the first 10 Meg hardrive.

Oren

Reply to
Oren

Ah, the good ol' days. The first PC in our house was a Heathkit build-it-yourself. I remember SuperCalc being a revolutionary piece of software.

Reply to
tom_sawyer70

Most people don't want to do that though, but its the first thing I have done with any new system I've ever bought.

Reply to
Eugene Nine

2000 Seemed to do a better job running memory intensive apps such as vmware. I can't get anywhere near the guest of performance out of an XP host as I could w2k or Linux.
Reply to
Eugene Nine

True, most people won't. One reason it seems so funny when I see people who think "normal" is the best you can be.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Dear Corrine, I've been using computers for over 15 years. For the past year I've had a Dell desktop. My advice is very simple.DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T Buy a DELL. Service is non existent. go ahead ..;....be like me and everyone else I know and pay the extra for nextbusiness day service. - I've been waiting over a month for that one. the further up the management pipeline you go, the more Rude people are and the less help you get. And getting less help than "None" is something I find quite remarkable , but it happens with Dell.

Considering how few poeople actually do get off their buts and complain or admit to making poor purchase decisions the number of public complaints made about Dell should be enough to worry you - There are class action suits file in the states for god's sake - this is not just net urban legend, I've actually downloaded the legal doc's to verify it as I couldn't believe it .

Their computers are set -up with so much extraneous rubbish, they are actually designed to underperform. You'll get it complete with software whiuch you absiloutely do not ever wish to install. And you'll get no help when you need it.

I'm a pc boy through and through so I won't mention the "get a mac" thing which many might. But perhaps you just ned to go to the next town and find another local guy to build you a system - I've had sevetral homebuilt systems over the years and they have all been better than excellent. Maybe someone else will give you a brand name to consider . But please don't let it be Dell - companies with that little respect for their customers should not be encouraged - as a marketing/ad' man I 'll also point out that Dell sell on nothing but price don't they?? - that's cause there aint no quality to speak of -pay extra for a decent soundcard and they just slap it on top of a cheap integrated motherboard etc. etc.

Good luck , but just think about all those complaints - it takes a lot for many people to admit they made a porr purchase decision but Dell manages to get lots of people to admit it don't they? Best regards and hope that's food for thought. Peter p.

Cor> Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted here

Reply to
copytiam

Yes, I might mention Mac. I buy very used very cheap ($25) macs and they seem to last forever, are EZ to fix and have a dedicated e-mail group to supply cheap parts or add-ons when desired.

Reply to
Nick Hull