Very OT - Computers

Page 4 of 6
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 15:25:21 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Respectfully disagree on service. iT SUX!
I'm on my 2nd Dell, but doubt if I'll buy another if the service continues to deteriorate. This has been reported on extensively in the computer, and even the general, media. Dell is still cutting back on service.
I bought my first Dell years ago because the leading computer mags said it had the best service. As a (then) fairly new user, that was important to me. Well, the years have gone by, the service has been outsourced to beautiful downtown Bangalore, and no matter how hard the Indian techs try, I never get the help I need, and don't think I should have to spend so much time on the phone. BTW, it gets embarrassing to have to ask them to spell words, because their accent removal charm school has a way to go!
Just my .02
--
Superannuated

clipped

I've gone to websites for support three or four times in past year. Twice to Dell. Never an American name, but English grammar and spelling perfect. Solved the problem, too. Would that the US President could speak English as well. He never had to earn a living before, so what can we expect? Gotta be careful what we wish for - cheap support 24/7, good wages and bennies, no taxes, the right to life and the right to bomb the living crap out of anyone who wants democracy our way. Only a liberal would mention Apple :o)
On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:43:04 -0700, Superannuated wrote:

LOL, a friend has a Dell and asked me to speak with customer services. I thought I called New Deli. The guy sounded like he had a mouth full of marbles.
Consequentially, I hung up on him and fixed it another way.
Oren

so. I'd buy off the 'office' page, not the 'home' page. Optiplex, not Dimension. Costs more, but a better machine, in my experience. We had several thousand at work until Gateway underbid them. Very low failure rate on the Optiplexes. If you are on a budget, look on ebay or www.dellfinancialservices.com, for an off-lease machine.
aem sends....
clipped

It was a sad, sad day when Micron quit making PC's. Best ever, hands down. 60 mHz? I don't know my hertzes from my ohms, but it got to 90 with an overdrive thingamajig. Started out with Win 3, then the first version of W95, which required more attention than a newborn preemie. Finally got that kernel thing fixed in W95 and I was flying .. could have 10 windows open, do graphics and not have a crash. Those days are long gone. The pile of junk with WinME barely gets the news and emails, and can't remember what time it is or where it put it's hard drive. Come to think of it, it is a lot like me :o)

Windows ME was released with some 65, 000 "known bugs" as I have read. Keep in mind when they try to fix one bug, the potential is there to introduce additional bugs.
For my money Windows 2000 is as stable as it gets.
Oren

I've been using 2000 for over a year now, and VERY SELDOM have to reboot the system because of a misbehaving program.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I went through three drives; SCSI (1) and IDE (2) drives over these years, but the 2000 kept it going. It is stable...
Matching Dual 550 CPUs...I even threatened to shoot the box but I will fire it up soon - 2K again..
Oren
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Yes, 2000 was the best, XP was a big disappointment after running NT4 and 2000 for a few years.

It IS, not was the best, stable version. The pro version will give a home user years of stable use, for the moment.
For the same years as the OP, say 6 years 2000 stood up, took anything I sent to it.
XP really centered on a "power user", at least in pro. Pro opens all the network, dangerous from start up.
This WindoZe environment, we speak about has left (b)millions open to attack right out of the box.
Oren
Oren wrote:

Your right, I should have said IS.
XP tends to be annoying for the power user too though, most of its defaults are all wrong, poor memory management, etc.
Eugene Nine wrote:

The memory management is the same as in NT and 2K, and the main objection that "power users" have is that they don't have free reign.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

2000 Seemed to do a better job running memory intensive apps such as vmware. I can't get anywhere near the guest of performance out of an XP host as I could w2k or Linux.

Once I remember hearing that the average time-until-attack (for a system running Windows with default settings) was about 5 minutes. It's probably less now. It can help to have any Windows updates, device drivers, and a good firewall on a CD, so you can get it protected BEFORE getting on the internet.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Uh, what difference do the settings make to "time until attack"? For that matter, what difference does the OS make? So someone attacks. So what? What is the time until the attack _succeeds_? That is what matters.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 01:25:45 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Any interesting read:
"Nothing more than the whim of a 13-year old hacker is required to knock any user, site, or server right off the Internet."
http://www.grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm
Test Your ports.
https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
Oren
Oren wrote:

That's a denial of service attack. It doesn't matter what OS you are running because it doesn't put anything on your machine--the objective is to generate so much bogus traffic that legitimate traffic can't get through.
The same technique will work against a Windows machine, a Linux machine, a BSD machine, a Mac, a Unix box, a mainframe, or any other system.

And as always it can't figure out what to do with my machine.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
ameijers wrote:

Same goes with any brand, Compaq/Hp makes good business systems while the presario/pavilion line are cheaply made propritary things. For basic use, get a used business machine from someplace like retrobox for half the price of a good new home system and you won't have all the "free" software to uninstall.

You don't have to worry about that last thing is you first reformat the disk and install the stuff YOU want.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Most people don't want to do that though, but its the first thing I have done with any new system I've ever bought.