Very OT - Computers

Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted here before and received excellent advice, so I am back.

I am in the market for a new computer. I am interested in Dell. When searching the Dell sites, I see lots of complaints about service, etc.

Do any of you use a Dell computer, and can anyone recommend a model for someone who uses the computer basically for email, newsgroups, searching the web, playing solitaire, and making greeting cards?

I am totally lost, and as you can see, I am not too computer savvy. I just know the basics, and my computer man, in this small town, just retired due to ill health.

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Corinne

Reply to
Corinne

I've had four Dells and never had a need for service. The next one will be a Dell.

Reply to
Ronald'

My wife bought a Dell several years ago. The "clock" has never kept correct time. The CD drawer opens and closes randomly. She's paid four different computer experts to work on on the computer. TB

Reply to
tbasc

I have a Dell - like any modern electrical/electronic, it isn't built to last forever. I am the software guru, hubby is the hardware guru. I wanted to add memory to mine, so I bought it and installed it myself. Most difficult aspect was opening the case, as it is built a little different than the instruction diagram. Dell has very detailed instructions on their website and pretty decent online support chat. I was spoiled when I got the Dell, as I had originally had a Micron that ran Win95 a lot faster than the Dell runs Win ME. About like going from Ferrari to VW :o)

Windows is getting more media oriented, for the movie and music downloaders. I haven't kept track of what is coming along from MS. If making greeting cards involves large images or a powerful program, you might want to focus on a graphics card with more memory; way too tech for me to keep track of, but Dell (or any other decent company) can probably advise on that issue. Usually, their websites have models for home or office or blah blah, and you can add features according to intended use. Might want to play with a few of those.

Whatever you buy will be outmoded in about two years, if not sooner :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Hello Corinne:

You might check back issues of Consumer Reports in your local library. I'm pretty sure they've reviewed computers sometime in the last few issues, and they usually include a little table showing the brands with fewest and most repair problems. A large set of data such as that is much more likely to be useful than my (or anyone else's) individual opinion.

Best -- Terry

Reply to
prfesser

Dimension 4300? Mine can't find the CD most of the time, and I got a fix from Dell but it doesn't stay fixed. It sees my external HD instead. Don't use the CD much, so it doesn't matter. I have to reboot to get the clock running on time - was late for quite a few things before I trained myself to look at my wristwatch instead of Windows time :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I have had a DEll for about a year and a half. Absolutely flawless. I have the 2400 series. I recommend you max out the memory. You usually get a printer with it for nothing plus free shipping. Also get an upgrade on speakers so you can listen to the Cd's that you make on your computer. Get a large capacity Hard Drive upgrade. These things are cheap when you buy it as a package, You will want these things when you get used to your putter. It comes with all the software you need . Good luck on your purchase. Ed B

Reply to
edb

I don't think any of the "computer companies" actually produce their own cpmputers. Dell build their stuff from components sourced from a myriad of suppliers. Two Dell systems bought on the same day may have hard drives or CDs or other compnonents sourced from different suppliers in different parts of the world.

What are your options? HP, NEC, ASUS or a no name brand built bythe guy down the road with bits he bought cheap from an importer. They are all basically the same.

The important things to look for are warranty and longevity of the supplier. At least Dell has been around a while and will probably be around a while longer. That gives you some chance of getting any problems fixed. The same goes for other brands like HP or IBM.

Most problems that you wil have will not be hardware, but problems created by incompatibilities between the various pieces of software you are running and the various bits of hardware in the box. None of them faults as such , but all of them well cause you grief.

If your stated uses are the total of what you want to do, then you really don't need anything too advanced . The basic CPU, memory , hard drive and video options will easily accomplish your needs. Don't get taken in by techos that want to sell you the biggest, fastest stuff. You don't need it.

Go to a book store and invest in a few "how to" books. Any of the "computer stuff for dummies" books for a start. Learn how to manage your own system so that when something goes wrong , and it will, you have some understanding of where the problem might lie.

Most of the problems that I fix every day are fixed with entries from the keyboard, not with replacement of bits of hardware.

There is no easy answer Corinne.

I would like to offer my services to help you, but alas, I fear the travel would be too expensive.

Reply to
Avery

Errr. FWIW, IBM got out of the personal computer business a few years ago, sold that biz to a Chinese company. So much for longevity (g).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 01:11:09 -0700, Corinne broke out their crayolas and scribbled:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 01:11:09 -0700, Corinne broke out their crayolas and scribbled:

If your concerns are service why not check with local stores and see what they offer in ways of service. Then buy from the one that will be available locally for service.

I built my box from component parts ordered off the net. I won't comment on a Dell product because I've not used it.

and can anyone recommend a model for

If the above is "all" that you're using it for why do you think you need to update your old box? Are you running out of storage space or do you think it is too slow? Just want something new and improved?

If it is the latter, I would think about holding off for a while because Windows is threating to release a new system within the next year and what you buy now will soon have a 3 or 4 year old operating system called XP that is scheduled to be replaced. Not sure how long XP has been around. Might as well wait for the next latest, greatest, Microsoft has to offer if you are going to learn a new distribution of the operating system. Besides the replacement for XP is going to need more power to operate than XP from what I've read. So why buy something that will be outdated so soon. Also from what I've read they are going to stop support for Windows

98 and ME shortly. Might want to wait a while and do more research.
______?

BS. Does the guy down the road who buys from a "cheap importer" have a Q/A team that makes sure the components he buys meet spec and are reliable? Does he document failure rates and only buys from suppliers that are proven reliable? Does he buy in such huge volume that he can get good quality components from major suppliers at favorable prices, or does he just buy the cheapest crap deal of the week from wherever he can get it. Does he have a website where you can download updated drivers for components or fixes? Does he have a tracking system so that their help database knows exactly what components are in your system when you need support? Does he have a telephone support line

24/7? Will he be there 10 months from now to honor the warranty?

You can buy from whomever you want, but don't try to claim that buying from a guy down the road is the same as buying from DELL or HP.

Reply to
trader4

Generally, desktop systems are less expensive than laptop systems, so unless you need portability, get a desktop system. With the larger desktop package, they are easier to cool and work on if components must be replaced or added.

It is true that PC systems become non-current in just a few years, but their useful life can be extended by careful choice:

- at least 1GB memory

- at least a 2 GHz processor

- at least 80 GB hard drive

- at least a CDRW/DVD combo drive

- wireless networking capability

- LCD display

Bey>Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted here

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

I built my own, but desktop units are so cheap now that you cannot match them by buying the components. My son got a Dell laptop, and I got my daughter a Dell desktop to take to school, and both have worked flawlessly.

I think service is overrated. If a unit is going to fail, it will fail almost immediately and they will just replace it rather than repair it. If it doesn't fail immediately, it will last the typically short warranty period, so paying a premium for good service is probably a waste of money. My suggestion is that you find a good way to back up all your software and data, and when your computer fails (or, more likely, becomes outdated) just get a new one.

Cor> Please don't blast me for asking this question here. I have posted here

Reply to
Not

Hi, Whatever you get, make sure it is capable of running new OS Vista coming out soon.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Left out display controller. Important for upcoming Vista OS.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Right, he is better than Dell. I bought about 15 computers so far from Dennis, both for work and for home. He does not have a 24/7 help line, but I can drop a unit off in the morning and pick it up after work.

Yes, he buys from suppliers that are proven reliable., but no, he does not keep formal records. With the volume of units he produces, it would really not be that productive. Just like you know who the good and bad grocery stores are in your area.

Yes, he does have a database of what is in my system, including upgrades.

I don't know much about Dell's reliability or service as I've not bought from them. Anyone selling the volume of a Dell, Gateway, etc, will have a few lemons get by as well as some that will perform perfectly for years. My own experience with the local guy though, happens to be very good. The experience with my first Gateway was very good, but the second one was very poor. Dennis only uses reliable, proven components, not the cheapo part of the week. I'm not going any place else. Just like the major suppliers, the local guy can be good or bad. Check them out.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You might also chec back issues of PC Mag and/or PC World for such comparisons. And ... PC World routinely has ranked comparisons with pros/cons of various categories of items from cameras & printers to various categories of laptops/desktops.

You might even find some avail. online.

barry

Dell is ok. You may want to look at the Emachines. Circuit City has some low end computers (you did not mention anything that would require much but a minimum system) by them on sale after the rebates for about $ 300 every couple of weeks. Pick up in the local store. I use to put together my own computers but needed one a few weeks ago. It is hard to get anything like a computer, 160 gb HD, DVD burner, monitor and then the operating system for anything close to that. That was the deal with the T3418 computer. NOt sure how they got together but Emachines and Gateway seem to be the same company now.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Search the eb, or the Tucows site, for a freeware program called "About Time". Load it, configure to run in backgrund, you'll never again have a clock problem, i'll check the atomic clocks at NIST , NASA and the Naval Observatory for correct time and reet your box's internal clock whenever you start the box or at intervals you set. Accurate to milleseconds but not nanoseconds. Doubt you need nanosecnd accuracy.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Search the web, or the Tucows site, for a freeware program called "About Time". Load it, configure to run in backgrund, you'll never again have a clock problem, i'll check the atomic clocks at NIST , NASA and the Naval Observatory for correct time and reet your box's internal clock whenever you start the box or at intervals you set. Accurate to milleseconds but not nanoseconds. Doubt you need nanosecond accuracy.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin