Very Old Houise...apparently screwed up wiring

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:41:37 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Makes perfect sense to me, across the lake from you in New York, as our furnace is on its own circuit and there's a disconnect switch right on the side of the furnace that's next to the entrance of the basement stairway: very handy. The switch is pretty high up (almost 6 ft.), so little kids can't reach it.

If the house is wired with conventional white neutrals and black hots it is possible that they are reversed at the panel or someplace in between. If the panel lacks a ground, they could even be reversed at the meter or drop. You actually need to test to a known good ground to be able to tell whether a wire is a neutral or a hot.
As others have mentioned, a disconnected neutral with a load connected will be hot. I really do not read anything in your post that indicates a problem.
Don Young

Its not weird at all, An open neutral measured to ground or another neutral will read hot if the other side of the load is hot. What you see is not an indication that anything is wrong. By taking it loose to measure it you have floated it above ground so now it is connected to the hot side through whatever load was feeding.
Jimmie