Very Odd Need for Machine-Tooled Metal Washers

I have to find large circular metal washers of some very light-weight, fireproof material. The problem is this: there is a mouse infestation in an elderly relative's home. I (and an assortment of handymen, contractors, etc.) have tried for years to find the source of entry for these rodents, and I've gone through extraordinary measures to make sure the slightest possible entry place is either caulked, boarded up, duct-taped, etc.
But at some time in the past, this elderly relative had a wall oven removed and hired a carpenter to install a floor-to-soffit "pantry" cabinet in place of the oven and cabinets that used to occupy that columnar space. It's my belief, as well as the opinion of *all* the contractors, etc., that whoever installed this pantry cabinet failed to seal the hole in the drywall where the wiring supplied the former wall oven, and that the mice come up from the cellar through this hole.
The elderly relative has a traditional "stove" next to the pantry cabinet and recently blew a wad on what she thought was a state-of-the-art range hood. This hood has two halogen bulbs. Because of the intense noise in the house whenever no one is in the kitchen, and the mouse dung in and around the stove, I believe the mice are actually making their way from the hole in the gypsum board into the range hood, and then (I'm not joking) jumping down from the gap between the bulb socket and the bulb.
I therefore need metal washers of specific dimensions to complete the job of mice-proofing the place. I would unscrew the halogen bulbs, fit these mythical washers into the space where the jumping mice now do their acrobatics, and then screw the bulbs back in.
Well, if you're not thinking by now this is one for the alt.home.repair joke files, I'd like to know how I can go about getting such specialty metal washers.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Can't picture the approx size but if you can find something close buy it and take it to the nearest small machine shop in your area with a sketch and ask how much to trim it to size.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It has been my experience that a little drywall is never going to stop a mouse. They can go though wood as well. If they know there is food there, they will get there. If they are in the cellar they will get upstairs.
Traps, cats and poison are the ways to go.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
Joseph Meehan wrote:

I agree, you don't need washers or a handyman, you need a serivce contract with a good pest control company that can provide on-going rodent control. I would get this situation under control, there are possible serious health issues associated with living in a mice infestated environment.
cut sheet metal to size and drill hole, use sheet metal for ductwork.
your statement explains a lot:( ] The problem is this: there is a mouse infestation in an elderly relative's home. I (and an assortment of handymen, contractors, etc.) have tried for years to find the source of entry for
these rodents, and I've gone through extraordinary measures to make sure the slightest possible entry place is either caulked, boarded up, duct-taped, etc.
you really cant depend on caulk or ducttape. metal shavings pushed down holes cemented in place.
you must keep them out of the entire house

Aluminum duct tape.

mice will go right thru it
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com writes:

All right then, aluminum flashing with aluminum duct tape.
Thanks to everyone for responses. The sheet metal idea sounds good. Also, I didn't know machine shops would do small jobs, so thanks (F.H.) for letting me know. Not to drift this thread, but are there only specific metals machine shops will deal with, or is it sort of like Metal 'S' Us? :)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I'm a retired machinist. Owned my own shop for a little over 20 years. Although we made a lot of high tech stuff someone would often stop by with a broken lawn mower or something on weekends. Helped break the monotony sometimes. You might have some luck with the Yellow Pages or if there is a commercial tract near you check it out on a Sat. Machine shops are notorious for working weekends. Need a shop with lathes and a helpful attitude.

Whether or not a sheet metal shop can help depends on how precision (or how thick) it need be.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Blocking the air space around the bulbs could cause the sockets to overheat- they are likely not porcelein, but plastic. Could just fail, could be a fire/shock hazard.
You don't want them anywhere in the house, anyway.
Dave
.

That's what I was thinking too. Adding blockage to a UL approved fixture doesn't sound like a good idea.

Agree here too. If they can easily get into the basement, then it's likely they will find another way into the kitchen, even if the lights are blocked. If the integrity of the area behind the cabinet is thought to be suspect, I'd consider removing the cabinet so you can see what's going on back there and fix it.
Also traps or poison in the basement are important in the line of defense. It's been my experience that mice will at some point get into just about any house, as it's very difficult to find and seal all the possible entry points.

We have a small farm, and when we took ownership, we were infested, particularly in the winter as the field mice and rats would seek shelter. We started a poison program and frankly haven't seen one in quite a while. http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID0e07900-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5
On 18 Jan 2007 15:14:43 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

You cut them out of a coke can with a pair of sissors and a heavy exacto knife.