Very NOISY Whirlpool Dehumidifier

Hi,
I bought a Whirlpool model AD50DSS2 dehumidifier. It is a very NOISY (vibration noise) dehumidifier!
A service man came. He thought he fixed it, but later the NOISE was back.
The dehumidifier's cabinet "amplifies" the compressor's vibration. A call to Whirlpool was no help at all.
I am a ham radio operator and found out from other hams that I am not the only one that has a NOISY Whirlpool dehumidifier.
I would like to hear from others with the same problem.
Thank You in Advance, John N3AOF
PS, Remove "ine" from my email address
Add pictures here
✖
Got to be some way to shove some cardboard behind the sheet metal, to dampen the noise?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On May 7, 8:16 am, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

The sheet metal case is easily removed. Spray the inside with automotive undercoating. Available at NAPA, Pep Boys, many other parts places.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
On May 7, 8:16 am, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

How new is it, Ive taken units back many months later depending on the store , each store has a different time policy for an exchange and usualy saying it doesnt work is best. Sears let me do it once 5 months later, HD might be 3 months. It must be fairly new for you to qualify for an in home service, contacting them again and getting a different guy is an option. I will guess some rubber weatherstriping and rubber washers might help
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, if it's new, I'd just take it back. If you want a solution, I had one that made vibrating noise. I tried poking it, prodding it, wedging things in spots inside the cabinet, and none of that worked. What did work was placing a case of bottled water on top of it. I think that does two things. First, applying any kind of weight must have distorted the cabinet enough to reduce the noise. Second, I think the water itself helps absorb the vibration.
BTW, Ransley, if you're reading this, thanks for the help on selecting a de-humidifier. I went with a GE 65 pint model and it's working fine so far. Not as quiet as the piece of crap Sears/LG one on high, but it also moves a hell of a lot more air.
Add pictures here
✖

I tried exactly the same things. I silenced it by putting a 1-gallon jug of water on top. But see my post elsewhere on the thread for a better solution (in my case).

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

I have a different Whirlpool model with the same problem of a vibrating cover. In my case the top cover was the culprit. It is rigid plastic with some reinforcing diagonal ribs on the inside. Those ribs are supposed to rest against a piece of styrofoam as a damper, but the ribs had dug into the styrofoam and weren't making sufficient contact to damp the noise. I put a folded-up 1-gallon plastic food-storage bag between the styrofoam piece and the plastic cover so the the ribs couldn't dig in. Then there was enough pressure between the two parts to stop the vibration, and the noise is gone. Basically I only hear the fan now.
So look inside for a piece of styrofoam in contact with part of the cover and see if you can fix it in a similar way.
Add pictures here
✖
Matt wrote:

My model is AD40G1. Looks like this:
http://images.fixya.com/W/Whirlpool/177x150/20825845.JPG
Add pictures here
✖
Hi
I did not list the different methods I tried, starting with different weights on top, insuring that everything is "tight" inside, checking the rubber mounts used by the compressor, different small carpets for it to sit on, and many other techniques.
My latest attempt, I used two boards with holes near each end and long threaded rods (with nuts, flat & lock washers) through the holes in order to squeeze the sides (boards against sides) of the cabinet. So far (one day), it seems to work, but other methods I tried in the past seemed to work, but only for a while.
Since this cold spell hit us, the dehumidifier is turned off. I will have to wait until warmer weather comes back before I use it again.
John
On Fri, 07 May 2010, you wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On May 13, 7:40 am, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

You don't say if the noise is compressor-related, or fan-related.
Add pictures here
✖