very hot water

Yesterday while running hot water it was very hot --almost boiling. I have a 40 gal. electric water heater. Does this mean a stuck thermostat and how do I change it?
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:45:27 -0400, Herb Eneva wrote:

Did you ever watch the TV show Mythbusters? They contested a myth that a hot water tank could explode with so much force that it would launch like a rocket through several floors and out the roof. They disabled the thermostat and safety relief pressure valve and at about 320 degrees F inside, the tank launched as expected. And this was using only the heating elements in the heater, no external heat source.
My point is; If you don't know how to change a thermostat you should probably seek local professional help and not trust the advice from the lunatics in this news group.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoyuUJj2Q

I'd really like to have their job.
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 07:26:11 -0500, JimT wrote:

So it was 350 PSI not degrees. So much for my memory. I never saw that video. They redid the myth bust by building a two story structure with a roof. And not some small shack, this was a fairly good sized structure to better represent a real house. This is what was complained about by their fans prompting them to redo the stunt. The heater blew around the same PSI and went through the first floor and through the roof. It would have gone through more floors than that considering the heater rose to a few hundred feet after it left the roof. And yes I would give up drinking to have their jobs.
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 05:17:31 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

Good boi! <pats you on head>
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:27:07 +0000 (UTC), Jeff The Drunk

That wasn't a nice thing to write.

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:50:48 -0500, Caesar Romano wrote:

It isn't when the sarcasm wasn't received by the reader (as in your case).
Besides that, there really are some lunatics in this group including me. But I'm a lunatic with a lot of work history in HVAC and home repair/ remodeling.
I agree, not all that nice. But, I agree with the general message. If not the "tone".
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

It could, it may also be a loose thermostat or rust between one of the thermostats and the heater. You can kill the power to the heater, verify that it's dead, then open the two thermostat covers and inspect them, then decide how to proceed
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 06:45:27 -0400, Herb Eneva wrote:

Possibly... as someone else said, it might just be loose and not pressing up against the tank (but seems strange that it suddenly happened all on its own without outside influence).
My tank has two thermostats, upper and lower. You unscrew the cover plates, unscrew the terminals, unclip the thermostat modules. Replacement is the reverse operation; it's trivial to do. The upper thermostat also has an emergency cut-off for the entire heater, the lower one is just the 'stat, but they're standard modules (Home Depot etc. sell them).
If you have a multimeter, you can work out which one is bad and avoid replacing both (but I think my local farm supply place has replacements in pairs for about $20 - and if one's gone bad due to burnt contacts then chances are the other's getting a little long in the tooth, too)
cheers
Jules
On Jul 29, 5:45am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote:

Almost boiling, so you mean steam is spitting out, you used a thermometer and its near 212f, or is it just hot like maybe 140f. If near 160-212 turn it off at the breaker now, Is the saftey valve leaking. There are 2 thermostats by turning them you should be able to feel which one is cutting off at to high a temp, turn both down. If you have a gas supply now is the time to consider switching as Ng for me is 60% cheaper. There have been units that the saftey valve froze, the unit would not stop heating and it went through a ceiling, roof and landed far away, that is fact. If its old and in fact near 212 I would junk it as its had alot of extra stress.
Herb Eneva wrote:

It's a total waste of energy to store 40 gallons of hot water 24/7/365. Multiply that by 300 million people. Americans are the most wasteful pigs on earth.
Get an oil or electric tankless demand water heater. I have 2 small electric point of use electric tankless and love them. They only run when you draw water.
--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
Americans are the most wasteful

PLONK! Oh wait. Already did. Back in the bozo bin with you!
tmclone wrote:

The truth hurts the guilty!
--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 19:36:07 -0400, LSMFT wrote:

Really? How so?

2nd most wastefull , China is the #1 user, so we need to be #1 again.

Speak for yourself, pig. Most of the rest of us real Americans have the sense or knowledge to set the thermostat, or get hot water on demand. Anyone who would let their hot water get that hot is absolutely clueless, and should turn in their keys to the alt.home.repair washroom, immediately. And then go live somewhere that's better.
Steve

Could be a stuck thermostat, but it may also be a bad element and it needs to be changed.
On Jul 29, 6:45am, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote:

In my experience, when that happens, one or more of the elements is toast, and the unit is about to fail. The heater boils the water, then shuts off. If restarted, same thing happens after a few hours. It's happened to me twice, both times at around 16 years (age of waterheater), so I replaced the water heater. However, it might just be the termostat. Easy to replace, but how old is the water heater?