Verizon Fios nightmare

Look into a Tivo. It's a far better DVR, channel guide, etc than what my cable company, Optimum offers. It's not cheap, but I'm saving $10 each month on what the Optimum DVR rental would be. And the Tivo uses a cablecard, so I don't even need a cable box. They charge for the card, but it's $3 less than they charge for their regular, non-DVR box. So, I'm saving $13 per month. IDK what Tivo current pricing is, but based on what I paid several years ago, it took about 4 years to break even back then, including lifetime subscription to the Tivo service. And after that, I'm saving $155 a year.

Reply to
trader_4

From what I've seen internet pricing is just as much a part of what you call tricks as cable TV. Those deeply discounted new subscriber deals only give you the low rate if you take tv, internet and phone, all three as part of the deal.

Reply to
trader_4

Mimics my experiences with the "phone company". I had some real nightmares with AT&T and Verizon. That's why I shy away from FIOS. There still exists that old telephone mentality when they were a monopoly and it was take it or leave it. Customer service was rotten. Their problem lies in their offices, not their techs on the road, where my experience has always been good.

Reply to
Frank

Agreed. I moved to Tivo 2 years ago and replaced a lousy cable box which was slow and had poor reliability. The cost of the Tivo was well worth the switch and I bought lifetime service too. My monthly cost now is only the cablecard rental of $1.50.

Thane

Reply to
Thane