Verizon FIOS = HELL!

mail each week inviting us to subscribe to FIOS.
We have had Verizon copper telephone service since 1987 (I believe) and upgraded to DSL 2 years ago. Our service has been flawless. When we first got DSL the modem/router they provided would not synchronize and with very little persuasion we had a tech make a home visit, evaluate the problem, install a splitter in the basement, hook up DSL service to the room where the modem was located, and install a DSL/phone double receptacle in place of the old single phone receptacle. He then hung around to make sure that I could register my service, and when that didn't go smoothly, he sat at my keyboard, got on the phone with his office, and 10 minutes later I was registered and up and running. No charge! And, 100% reliable DSL and phone service since then. We must be one of the very lucky few.

In the middle of my phone not working their junk mail increased:(
Even after asking nicely to put me on do not disturb, up to the presidents office of verizon.
I finally conned a rep claiming the marketing manager whos name was on all that junk, was a long lost realtive of mine:)
they gave me the office number and I called repeatedly ripping into them for crap service.
I finally quiit being solicited:)
After asking politely the first few verizon reps who came to my door to STOP, I began calling the cops on them. None were carrying the required solicitation permits.
This law was enacted burglars would act like solicitators, checking for no one home.
A tech savy resident got photos of the solicitator twice, once ringing bell acting the part, then later walking thru his home. Smile he was on candid camera.
So at the moment verizon is leaving me alone, I cancel at least some services monday:)

<<In the middle of my phone not working their junk mail increased:( >>
<<Even after asking nicely to put me on do not disturb, up to the presidents office of verizon.>>
<<I finally conned a rep claiming the marketing manager whos name was on all that junk, was a long lost realtive of mine:)>>
<<they gave me the office number and I called repeatedly ripping into them for crap service.>>
<<I finally quiit being solicited:)>>
<<After asking politely the first few verizon reps who came to my door to STOP, I began calling the cops on them. None were carrying the required solicitation permits.>>
Those SOB's did that here in Maryland, too. At first they got me to the door under the guise of their being something important about "my service." I thought they were doing some maintenance or something. I talked to them thru the intercom 3 times asking them to leave. The fourth time I rang the 12" alarm bell mounted in the roof above the porch. The little morons had the audacity to say "no need to be rude" as they scurried away. Next day I found gum stuck on my windshield.
<This law was enacted burglars would act like solicitators, checking for no one home.>
Exactly. Wait - what did you say? I think you meant the law was enacted to KEEP them from acting as solicitors. These were two college age guys without even ID badges and just a clipboard with a form on it. If I hadn't already decided I wouldn't take FIOS because they clipped your copper lines, that would have done it.
Verizon is desperate for sign-ups. They rolled out a discretionary, very expensive service in the middle of a recession. Jobs are on the line because it costs them IIRC, almost $800 to wire a home for FIOS and if enough people fail to sign up, they'll be operating at a loss. I read that they've stopped expanding and if your city doesn't have FIOS underway by now, you ain't getting it.
<A tech savy resident got photos of the solicitator twice, once ringing bell acting the part, then later walking thru his home. Smile he was on candid camera.>
Yep, so desperate to get people to sign up they'd probably hire anybody. I'll bet they didn't realize that anyone who they've ever locked into a two year contract with outrageous early termination fees is going to think long and hard before getting involved with Verizon again. I laughed when the rep said: "That's not us, it's Verizon Wireless. We're not the same company." So why use the same name? To trade off the name, for sure.
<So at the moment verizon is leaving me alone, I cancel at least some services monday:)>
I'm with you. I am at least going to get rid of calling features I never use.
-- Bobby G.
On 3/27/2010 12:04 PM, Peter wrote:

was not enough bandwidth in their connection to the backbone, thus causing the DSL slowdown when many people are on line. Of course he was only referring to this area of western NC. As I said in an earlier post, there has been vast improvements in the last 9 or 10 months ... at least for my area. The employees don't care what they say about their company because most of them will either retire or go with the new company (Frontier) when they take over later this year. From what I understand, Frontier doesn't have a good retirement plan, so those who are Verizon pension eligible, will be taking it. BTW, I had Ameritech DSL in the Chicago area, more recently new at&t, and it was very good. But even in the Chicago area, I've heard other complain about DSL problems similar to my Verizon problems.
Higgs Boson wrote:

Verizon has been laying off people like crazy so those left no longer give a s...