Verizon FIOS = HELL!

Page 1 of 2

I usually don't vent on NGs about bad service; most of what we get these days IS "bad service". But I'm disgusted enough to go public on Verizon FIOS. They offered a package of TV, Internet and telephone for what sounded like a reasonable sum. From Day One, nearly a year ago, EVERYTHING has been terrible. Verizon does everything to keep the customer at arm's (electrronic) length. The Web sites are useless. There is virtually no response to polite complaints, and when one does get a human being, they are inept, untrained, ignorant, and basically useless even for flipping burgers. The corporate office doesn't answer inquiries.
If anybody wants a copy of the article I am writing, with blow-by-blow account of the Verizon horrors, let me know. It's too long and detailed to post on a NG, but trust me, everything is backed up with emails, phone records, faxes, letters and personal visits to Verizon stores. (shudder!)
Meantime, please! Friends don't let friends subscribe to Verizon FIOS.
Hypatia

You could say the same thing about almost any large company. They get to big to worry about miniscule customers. We almost always pay cash for everything but last January my wife went to Ashley and bought a diningroom table. We had the money but for some reason she put it on "6 months same as cash". My initial reaction was to pay the bill but it was stated "6 months same as cash" so I didn't worry about it. I never got a bill so I waited for it. One came 2 months later from Citifinancial saying I was late and had late fees. I called and told both Ashley and Citifinancial I have documents that state 6 months same as cash but they didn't care. I spoke with a customer service supervisor at Ashley and he said they don't do anything until they get several complaints. The telephone rep at Citifinancial said I was the 3rd complaint she got from Ashley customers that day for the same thing. I got Citifinancial to knock off the penaties and paid it in full over the phone. I told my wife that this is why we don't have any credit cards.
These types of customer service complaints happen all the time these days. Large companies know that all the other large companies are doing it and they will "miss the boat" if they don't join in. There is big money to be made by lying to customers.

Yes, but it drastically shortens the longevity of your business once word gets around.
Master Betty wrote:

And now your credit report is shot to shit and you are designated as "late payer."
On 03/26/2010 07:59 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Verizon is much, much worse than "almost any large company." I've had several bad experiences with them to the point that I haven't had a home phone in something like 5 years now. not worth the hassle. I'm not alone, either - lots of people I know have bad things to say about Verizon.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Worse than Time Warner Cable?
On 03/26/2010 08:48 PM, Master Betty wrote:

Never had 'em. Only cable services I've had are Comcast and Cox and other than bitching about the cost, I have few complaints about them.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Here in Las Vegas, the saying goes: "You can't beat our Cox."
--
Nonny
Suppose you were an idiot.

Join the "cox.internet.community.lasvegas" group. There is a Tech that monitors the group...
I posted there once and the guy flashed my router at night while I was asleep :)
( flashing the router would have been my next step, but the guy beat me to it)

You guys don't know what bad service / bad product are. Try using Hughes Net. I dare you. The performance is terrible every nite. and when you try to talk to someone you can't understand a word they say.
JimmyDahGeek@DON'T_SPAM_ME_gmail.com wrote:

I straightened out Hughes Net service for a customer a while back. I'm used to dealing with tech support CSR's in India and can often get them to patch me through to American based personnel who can often quickly help me remedy the situation. I have thought about learning Hindi or Urdu to mess with the outsourced tech support.
TDD
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 05:21:58 -0500, The Daring Dufas

What hell you do talk about sir? You are knowing nothing of we know.
Singaraam Gupta wrote:

I am for very much happy to be helping you sir on such a splendid day! Would you like a Slurpie with your tech support?
TDD

I doubt that but don't really care much. We don't use credit anymore. That would be indicated as PIF.
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 15:24:38 -0700 (PDT), Higgs Boson

And their ad about watching tv in 6 rooms has been changed to say you can record in one room and watch it in 6. I'm sure that means you have to watch the same thing in every room.
Heck, that's no feature. Anyone can do that with a vcr or dvdr, with splitters, and a couple signal amps, and some cable, for maybe 40 dollars an no rental fees.
DA had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Verizon-FIOS-HELL-432585-.htm :
Higgs Boson wrote:

Which exact part of it you are having problems with, TV, Internet or phone? I've had FIOS for years, from the day it became available in my area (2005 I think) and never had any problem with the service. Certainly nothing like "everything has been terrible" that you describe. Also been on the phone with their FIOS Online support folks a few times. FIOS Internet in a separate organization as far as I can tell - both sales and helpdesk - but helpdesk guys actually left an impression of people that are polite and know their stuff, problems fixed.
I don't know your situation of course but you always have a choice - pull out. Give them one last call, tell them you are about to cancel the account and you want a technician on site to resolve your issues else you terminate your account. If they can't, terminate it. Things did not work out between you two.
If there is a copper wire to your home, they will have to make it available to any phone provider you choose. If you only have fiber optic, you're stuck - they have a decade long monopoly on it. But a Cable TV company will probably pull their own cable anyways, and those guys can provide phone and Internet service as well. Then there is always satellite TV. So, you have choices!
------------------------------------- \//.
On 3/26/2010 6:24 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Verizon is just horrible. Here in western NC the land lines are just plain pathetic ... noisy, 60Hz hum, etc. I am on a remote switcher. When there is a power failure, the phone goes out shortly thereafter. A Verizon person said it was because the batteries in the remote need to be replace. Verizon won't replace them because they are selling their land line business later this year and don't want to spend any money on stuff they will be getting rid of. Gee, just think, a 3rd rate telephone company, Verizon, is selling their stuff to a 4th rate company, Frontier. Wow, I can't wait ... NOT. BTW, I have heard, from a verizon person that Frontier made them fix their DSL problems because they "didn't want to buy a crippled system." And, DSL has improved over the last 9 months. 9 months ago, you couldn't stream any audio or video. Now I can stream video easily during the day, and usually at night. Also, 9 months ago, the DSL speeds would read as low as 40kbs during the evening ... now it's not bad. 9 months ago, if you called >non< tech support, you would get someone in India or the Philippines telling you to do basically stupid things, like replacing your network cable between the modem and computer, or plugging the modem wallwart DIRECTLY into a wall outlet and not into a power strip.
Well I have my own FIOS phone hporror story, after complaing for TWO MONTHS, and caling EVERY BUSINESS DAY FOR 3 WEEKS and esclating to the presidents office twice my phone got fixed.
It was a bad router at the central office, which effected every fios phone customer in our CO, about every 12th call was noisey, as time went on to the point of unusable.
Their phone auto attendant system is designed to discourage calls to a rep at all costs.
They refused to let me cancel, and refused to put me back on copper. They have so many company policies they fail to realize serve the CUSTOMER shouldnt be at the bottom of the list it should be first!
I am finally outr of contract and ready to cancel EVERYTHING with the Verizon brand.
my fios internet has been rock solid, but the company is horrible to deal with...........

I'm late to this thread, but I am ready to concede that the inventor of auto attendant systems shot be shot. It's just another way to make the customer bear the cost of support by wasting enormous amounts of time reading menus at them when a smart receptionist would know in seconds where to send you.

These two year contracts should be illegal, especially when all they are risking is a $20 router or cable modem. They are mostly to lock out competition and restrain free market force. I'm surprised some lawyer hasn't sued them just on that basis.

I am *so* glad I didn't fall for FIOS - although I almost did - when a friend told me that the first thing they did was cut his old copper phone wire I backed off. Just like "early termination fee" cutting your copper is designed to force you to stay with them. If there was true competition, then maybe some of these tricks might be conscionable, but the alternates are so limited that they're not. They behave so much like monopolies, that they really are monopolies, in the practical sense of the word.

How can they offer such terrible service to so many people and still survive? I think it's because there's no real alternative. But there's something else. This generation of kids seems to be "whipped." They pay usurious interest and outrageous fees and think nothing of it. It seems they feel getting seriously screwed by big business is just an unescapable fact of life. I can't help but think of them as Eloi, hearing the siren and going to the caves to feed the Morlocks in the Time Machine.

I don't think people realize the only true voting power they have is in their wallet and when someone really screws you, you HAVE to terminate your relationship with them, even if it hurts you because there's no other way to have your voice heard. American companies *know* how infrequently customers change to competitors and they take full advantage of it. So just DO IT and write a letter to a VP about why you did. Google is great for finding VPs. (-: As you pointed out, the system *prides* itself on not having to listen to anything the customer has to say. That means you have to be creative in reaching one.

That's a serious dilemma. Whenever I talk to someone like Verizon, I always have a competitor's latest deal in front of me. Sometimes they *will* cut a deal to keep you if they think you're really going to leave them.
-- Bobby G.
Verizion has stopped upgrading to FIOS near nationwide, the service is hermoraging red ink.
They are investing all their money in wireless internet.
The wireless side has far better customer service......