Ventless Washer Dryers

I just looked at the Thor. It is half the size of my LG. Mind you mine was $600 can more, but It does a full comforter.
MoM
Hi MoM;
MoM wrote:
> > > who?
> > Thor for one among many others. See: > > http://www.thorappliances.com
> > Why instantly assume that the Americans wouldn't > > know how to make Ventless Dryers?
> > Duane
> I just looked at the Thor. > It is half the size of my LG. Mind you mine > was $600 can more, but It does a full comforter.
That wasn't the point. The guy was trashing the US by saying we had no ventless dryers.
I simply showed he was wrong by posting the first one I found on Google.
The point is the Thor is Ventless and made in USA.
Is the LG made in the US?
> MoM
Duane
--
Home of the $35 Solar Tracker Receiver
http://www.redrok.com/led3xassm.htm [*]

No...I wasn't "trashing" the US
Hmmm...I'd like to know how Chris is finishing all the laundry in an evening while also depending on sun and wind to dry all the clothes....
Jo Ann
MoM wrote:

By wife

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

GE made one in 1960 or so. had it in the house as a kid, along with the sideways ceiling mount fridge. never remember the washer working, threw it out and the space became the dog food cubby. fridge died after 17 years, old man fixed it to sell the house[rather than remodel the kitchen]

I'm curios where you bough the above
The idea that exotic=expensive over the life of the machine goes for all things you buy. People tend to equate more expensive with more reliable, but that isn't always the case. A more expensive widget may have more power, and more bells and whistles, but it also will have a more expensive repair profile over the life of the machine. And the more you pay for something, the more unhappy you will be when it breaks.
Which widget shall you buy? Buy simpler, and buy what you need to meet your needs. Don't necessarily trust Consumer Reports. I've seen some stuff in there that makes me think they don't always know what they are talking about.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

So what would YOU buy?

Yes. When we moved in to our mobile home I had to give up my lovely new Maytag washer and dryer because they took too much room. So we got the LG ventless washer/dryer combo. It is the largest size. It is excellent! I love it!
If I had to choose I would stay with the washer/dryer combo. There is only one drawback in my view. I can't dry while I wash.
But then, I'm using the clothes line a lot now the weather is warmer.
MoM

You sure are making a good argument for such a unit
Got me to thinking abt looking into one
I live alone and in a small apartment and space is at a premium

That's the reason I opted for it. It cost double the price or more of a standard set of washer dryer but it fits my needs. And they come in 2 sizes.
Mobile homes do NOT a lot of spare room have as Yoda would say.
MoM
MoM wrote:

would you please post the specific model number ? was there any other contender or other LG model that you chose not to buy for some reason (other than size) ?
they use little water, saves on water sewer and heating water, spin speed over a 1000 RPM so clothes nearly dry at start of drying cycle. pricey unit but very convenient.
I am again thinking of putting one upstairs for everday use, leave old machines in basement for volume laundr days, like stripping beds

It's an LG WM3632HW
I never considered anything else. I got this model on sale at a well known up scale appliance dealer I had used in the past and it was what i was looking for. I could have bought the smaller one but I wanted the full size model.
MoM
The other writers are correct that there were American-made combos in the past. I think that it has always been a challenge to mix the the two functions, keeping the water in all the right places during wash, but free to move air during dry.
Negatives to look at concerning the new combos are higher initial cost, longer laundry processing times, a more complicated repair profile over the life of the machine, and a less extensive repair network. That last one is the clincher. Anytime you own a highly exotic piece of machinery, you are limiting your repair options somewhat to fewer technicians who have had more specialized training and have access to proprietary information. Even with a maintenance agreement, your costs for this or paying for repairs individually is going to raise your overall operating expense to a level far beyond simpler machines.
Here is a different way to look at it: If you buy a new Toyota Prius, you aren't going to be able to take it to your neighborhood garage because the repair methods and proprietary information has not filtered down to the average mechanic yet. You will be pretty much locked into taking it to the dealership for your entire time of ownership of the vehicle. Pity the consumer that buys one of these out of warranty; he is asking for an empty wallet.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Agree on this one big time
Exotic is not always better
I'm not sold of front loaders anyway. I've looked at top loader fisher paykel and it has great design (fewer parts)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: If you buy a new Toyota Prius,

When I was looking into buying a Prius, I found this to be true. (I was questioning my local mechanic about repair costs.) This prevented me from buying one. It was unclear to me, that I'd really be saving money by purchasing a hybrid. Of course this is aside of the clean air/not using oil issues.
Why doesn't the government do something about this? They want us to buy them to save oil but then pay through the nose for repairs. I guess Toyota (or any other corporation) making money is more important than not using oil.
Bonnie
The payback time for saving money on gas with a prius is never:(
Thanks to the initial high cost and battery replacement issues plus high cost of repairs.
sadly government is ONLY interested in keeping their big money supporters happy, and big oil is high on that list.
we should have gone to alternate energys in 1972 or certinally since then