Ventless fireplace - What is this thing?

I'm installing a downstairs fireplace: a DESA LGCFTN/44471 firebox in a DESA C26LT corner mantle/base. It's pretty straightforward, except for one thing: I can't figure out what the following gizmo is:
It's underneath the firebox, by itself, isolated by a panel from all the parts above. It's made up of 2 pieces, both copper-colored - a bullet shaped cylinder about 5" long, half inch thick and a coiled wire, about the thickness of 15 guage elec wiring. There are two white plastic clips that are in the panel nearby, which I think are meant to hold the cylinder, but were not holding it when I unpacked it. The wire ends at the back of the pilot lighting unit above.
What is this thing? It is not listed in the parts list. It is not shown in the parts breakdown illustration. It is not described on the www.desatech.com website.
It is not the thermocouple, which is illustrated in the diagram and is in the pilot light flame.
I don't know what this is. Furthermore, I don't know where to "hang" it. It just dangles there on the end of the coiled wire. I assume it goes in the white plastic clips, but I'm not sure. And why is it there? SInce we're dealing with gas fire here, I don't want to take any chances of messing things up.
Anybody?
Thanks.
46erjoe wrote:

Could it be an overtemp shutoff?
"CJT" wrote

46erjoe wrote:

customer service 866-672-6040
it may be a capillary tube to the room temperature sensor or overheating sensor. perhaps with the model number off the gas valve itself you can follow this up?