We have a ventless (Flame-Max) fireplace installed in our condo, but when
running it still have an intense natural gas odor after running it for 5
1. We have already tried a "break-in period" to cure the logs.
2. We had a professional come out to inspect for debris/clogs/leaks.
Has anyone had the same problem, and could there be a leak behind the wall
where the gas line comes in? It is a new construction condo, and others in
our bldg do not have this problem at all.
Thank you in advance for your help. I really do appreciate it.
When you say "a professional" do you mean the contractor who put it in, the
condo people? If so they have a desire (vested interest) not to have
anything wrong so they will tend to shrug off things.
Call your gas company, have them come look at it, or call a company that
specializes in gas appliances like furnaces, fireplaces, dryers and such.
Gas odor is a bad thing, be very very carefull.
I'll second that. When I lived in an apartment complex, I had an odor of
gas in my kitchen. Maintenance came out a half dozen times and pronounced
no leak each time. The night before I was due to move out, the smell go a i
little stronger and we call the gas company. Turned out there was a leak,
and the pronounced the place uninhabitable. It stayed that way for about a
month because the gas lines were so old the gas company wouldn't approve it
until they were all replaced.
This is only happening when you're actually running the fireplace,
right? So my first guess is that somewhere there's a jet that
isn't getting completely burnt.
Personally, I get headaches around ventless fireplaces even when
they're working properly.. I hate the damn things.
First, look at the set up in the installation manual, especially the log set
up. Get a digital readout carbon monoxide (CO) detector, I prefer
Nighthawk, and check for CO which could be from improper setup. Note: there
is a slight odor associated with burning gas without a vent, but it is NOT a
raw gas smell.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.