Ventless fireplace giving gas odor...HELP!!

We have a ventless (Flame-Max) fireplace installed in our condo, but when running it still have an intense natural gas odor after running it for 5 minutes.
1. We have already tried a "break-in period" to cure the logs. 2. We had a professional come out to inspect for debris/clogs/leaks. None found.
Has anyone had the same problem, and could there be a leak behind the wall where the gas line comes in? It is a new construction condo, and others in our bldg do not have this problem at all.
Thank you in advance for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Call the gas utility; they will usually come out (no chg) and sniff out any leaks, or offer suggestions if there is no gas leak. Jim

When you say "a professional" do you mean the contractor who put it in, the condo people? If so they have a desire (vested interest) not to have anything wrong so they will tend to shrug off things. Call your gas company, have them come look at it, or call a company that specializes in gas appliances like furnaces, fireplaces, dryers and such. Gas odor is a bad thing, be very very carefull. Eric

I'll second that. When I lived in an apartment complex, I had an odor of gas in my kitchen. Maintenance came out a half dozen times and pronounced no leak each time. The night before I was due to move out, the smell go a i little stronger and we call the gas company. Turned out there was a leak, and the pronounced the place uninhabitable. It stayed that way for about a month because the gas lines were so old the gas company wouldn't approve it until they were all replaced.
Pick
What he said. Hey, if it was a recent appliance and it smells like gas now.... follow your nose. It always knows. Calling the gas co is a great idea.
--

Christopher A. Young
Jesus: The Reason for the Season

immediately when you call them and tell them you even think you smell gas. They have test equipment to locate any leaks.
" snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net" wrote:

This is only happening when you're actually running the fireplace, right? So my first guess is that somewhere there's a jet that isn't getting completely burnt.
Personally, I get headaches around ventless fireplaces even when they're working properly.. I hate the damn things.
First, look at the set up in the installation manual, especially the log set up. Get a digital readout carbon monoxide (CO) detector, I prefer Nighthawk, and check for CO which could be from improper setup. Note: there is a slight odor associated with burning gas without a vent, but it is NOT a raw gas smell.
--
John Galbreath Jr.
http://www.FireLogs.com