Venting gas fireplace from basement...?

Hello all,

I'm thinking of adding a gas fireplace to my finished basement. My question revolves around venting. I would prefer to stay away from ventless, being that we have some allergy issues, so I'm going to need to vent it somewhere.

An idea I had was to install it pretty close to the gas furnace (which is 6 years old and will be on the other side of the wall), and use the venting that it and my gas water heater (the flues join before they go up the ceiling) use to vent my fireplace.

Is this feasible? Or do I need to install that fireplace on an outside wall so I can vent it right outside?

Are there any differences between the flue on the gas furnace/water heater, and the flue needed for a gas fireplace? (...direct-vent?)

Thanks so much in advance!

Jeff

email me at: jeffwlarsen AT yahoo DOT com

Reply to
Jeff Larsen

Need more info . . .

BTU's on the new fireplace BTU's on the existing gas water heater Size of flue on existing water heater and furnace

Jim

Reply to
Jim Mc Namara

Chances are that the "B" was not oversized to start with to allow another appliance to be added. I suggest you look at Direct Vent Gas Fireplaces.

Reply to
John Galbreath Jr.

I agree.

Also, talk to the building and/or fire inspector about dual devices on a flue. There are lots of issues, I'd avoid them if you can.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

Flues are generally sized to handle the appliances to be installed. The reason is that too large a flue will not draft well.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

No, a Direct Vent Gas Appliance is different from a "B" vent, or natural vent appliance. But, it can be run straight out the wall.

Reply to
John Galbreath Jr.