Venting garage roof

I have a question about venting a garage roof. I am turning my detached garage into a woodworking shop. I am adding heat and ac and will thus insulate. I know that a building with an attic space needs to be vented. However, can I insulate right onto the roof, in other words, put the insulation right between the joists and right up against the roof sheeting? Or do I need to make an attic space and vent the roof? Thanks Rob Through the golden door our children can walk into tomorrow with the knowledge that no one can be denied the promise that is America. ~Ronald W. Reagan

Reply to
Rob Hall

insulating right onto the roof is known as a "hot roof", which might be against building code in your area, can negatively effect heating/cooling bills, and possibly void your roofing shingle warranty and effect your roof in other ways

most seem to recommend ventilation

here's plenty of information on the topic from google archives of this group:

effi

You need to keep an airgap. Typical job would require a ridgevent and eave vents with special cardboard or foam inserts above the insulation so the air can flow and keep the shingles a bit cooler and moisture a place to go.

Reply to
Art

which vent to use on a grage flat roof covered with tar paper?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Assuming it is not a flat roof, your roof will last longer and you will have less likely hood of leaks if you do the attic and vent it. Your garage - workshop may also be cooler in the summer that way.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Bob Bowles