Venting bathroom fans

I'm going to call the building department for my area, but they're closed today.
I need to vent two bathroom fans. I was going to vent them through the roof, buy my friend has me terrified that no matter how hard I try, I won't be able to stop the vent cap from leaking. So, I'm thinking about venting them through a soffit vent. However, I might not have a place on the side of the house that's far enough away from windows or my deck. Does anyone know what a typical code says about venting bathroom fans -- how far does the vent cap have to be from windows or areas where people might reside (like my deck)?
Thanks!
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Thanks. I already bought one (although I think I'm going to buy a different style), but my friend freaked me out this morning!
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Maybe so; maybe no.
A "trick" on roof openings is to make the opening higher up on the roof rather than lower. The advantage is that there is less water to "leak" in the first place and much of the "leak" will have a long path down the vent before it can cause trouble.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Bob in CT wrote:

I have put a couple in myself. Just followed the instructions and I have never had a leak. It is not really hard (assuming a typical roof) flat roofs are a different matter. The design of the vent makes it easy and reliable.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Fri, 21 May 2004 19:20:52 GMT, Joseph Meehan

Thanks! I'd much rather vent it through the roof, as the access is easier. The soffits would be much harder.
--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply
Bob in CT wrote:

It is also a better spot to vent. Soffit vents tend to result in the vented moist air being drawn back in by the next soffit vent.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

A hole through the roof is no problem, as long as you caulk the roof termination PROPERLY. I have four roof penatrations on my home and zero leaks. Greg