Venting a Dryer to the Garage

Page 1 of 2
What are the pros and cons of venting a clothes dryer (electric) into a one car garage (door usually closed, under a living space)?
Thanks in advance
Phil

No pros, only cons. Possibly/probably illegal
Rust on anything stored in there, fumes (either flammable or deadly co) backing up into the dryer. Do the job right.

Pro's... Can be simple to do, depending on the layout of your house.
Con's. High levels of humidity in the garage will cause tools, automobiles, appliances, garage door openers, light switches, light fixtures, and everything else to rust or otherwise prematurely fail. In addition, the high moisture level could cause mildew, dry rot, long-term structural problems, drywall failures, and other nasty ramifications.
Conclusion. Don't do it unless you're trying to get even with someone who has done you wrong in a big way.
pro; your car will smell nice Cons ; already listed and dust

You may tend to get moisture (or frost) and lint accumulation. Electric sparks could be dangerous if you get fuel fumes from the likes of lawnmower, etc. It may also be dangerous if anyone unknowingly replaced it with a gas dryer.
Don't know of any pros unless you work on your car while drying clothes in winter. But then the electic spark thing may still be an issue if you spill or have open fuel in an enclosed space.
As Ed Pawlowski says, it violates building code. There is supposed to be a one hour separation between garage & house. No one has mentioned lint.
TB

Sh*t!!!!
That means I'd have to get up an hour earlier on workdays and then get home an hour later.
F*ck that! I'll just park in front of the house if my garage has to be that far away.....

WTF is a "one hour separation"???
Skip the jokes, was he *trying* to say somethging meaningful?
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Look up "Fire Wall"
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Im sure 1 hr meant Fire Wall rating.
I'll be damb-duh! Learn something new every day!!
http://doityourself.com/garage/faultyfirewall.htm

Bell wrote:

Thanks, always good to learn something new.
"Separation time" does seem like an appropriate term when referring top how long it will take fire to penatrate a wall.
The only recollection I had of hearing the word "separation" used relative to fire stuff was in reference to the minimum "separation distances" between tanks of flammable substances and other objects or structures.
Happy Holidays,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Thanks to all of you for the great input. Clearly, venting the dryer into the garage is not a good idea, regardless of the legality or code-permittedness of it.
So, the followup question ... any suggestions for rectifying the problem that I've got?
The vent run currently goes up from the base of the wall, about 8 or 9 feet then across the attic space over the garage and on to the outside of the house, another 12 or so feet total horizontal run. There's 2 90 degree bends in there, one where it turns vertical from the base of the wall, and another where it turns horizontal to go across the attic.
Problems include somewhat excessive lint buildup in the vent, at least compared to the buildup in shorter runs that I've lived with; excessive drying time and (I'm sure) commensurate shortened life expectancy of the dryer; and difficulty cleaning such a long run on a regular basis. Can't eliminate the horizontal and take the vertical run straight up through the roof because it'd be going right through my bedroom.
I'd really like to shorten this run. It just seems excessive. Is it?
Thanks, again ... Phil
On 12/11/2004 4:35 PM US(ET), Phil took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I suppose that this dryer is not up against an outside wall and you can't go directly through the wall?

Wish it was. Unfortunately it's a choice of 1)up and over the garage (as is now) 2) into the garage (ruled that out after responses here) or up and across 3 other rooms (even further horizontal run than going through the garage).
Poorly designed tract style home.
Someone else suggested a supplemental fan in the ductwork ... I'll have to look into that, never knew such a thing existed.
Phil

(snip)
is now) 2) into

rooms (even

look into that,

How far above grade is the interior floor level where the dryer is? Is it above finished space, or open joists? Although not ideal, you CAN go DOWN through the floor, and then sideways to nearest wall, if that is a shorter run than you have now. A tenant added that to a rental house my family used to own, and it seems to work fine. No idea if code allows it, and going down with a 'chimney' just seemed counterintuitive to me, but it was the only practical route in this case.
aem sends....
Phil wrote:

Assuming you don't have a shorter path to the ouside, I would suggest a booster fan designed to work with dryers. I would consider that a a distant second to having a short direct path, but better than the alturnatives.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 23:52:37 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Not allowed by code. The 1-hour seperation referred to by a previous poster is not correct unless you are discussing a multi-family structure.. Code requires at least 1/2" gypsum board on the garage side and a door of 20 minute fire rating or equivelant. A 1-hour seperation would be somewhat more stringent.
Dan
Right you are. International Residential Code goes on to say: ducts penetrating the walls or ceiling separating the garage from the dwelling shall be 26 gage sheet steel or "other approved material" and shall have no openings into the garage.
That leaves the possibility of ducting * through * the garage to the outside.
TB

Didn't the IRC used to specify 5/8" type x drywall or plaster, with a 1 hr. fire rating? Same with access doors seperating living space from garage. When did this change?