Ventilation for using spray paint

I would like to paint an object using spray paint, but there are two requirements which may be impossible to arrange:
1) Temp over 50. It ain't gonna happen outdoors here until April, probably.
2) Indoors: Must have proper ventilation. I could open a basement window, put a fan in the window, and do the spraying 10-15 feet away. But, I wonder about sparks & flammability, with the fan pulling volatile fumes right past its motor.
The object is a football helmet (don't ask why). Spray for two or four seconds, rotate it, repeat, come back later for 2nd coat. Risky? Stop worrying? Have the fire extinguisher ready?

Stop worrying...
Open the window, spray away, close the window a few minutes later.

Plan B: Borrow big-ass heater from neighbor, heat 1-car garage to 85 degrees, run in fast, close door, shut off heater, spray helmet. Disconnect electric door opener. No sparks. Run out fast, come back later.
Why don't kids think about their Halloween costumes in August? :-)

Just keep the can and helmet in the house so the paint and target surface is a good temp. Take outside and spray. What's it gonna take, a few minutes? Bring inside right away. Repeat for 2nd coat.

Absolutely. I spray ceiling AC registers outside all winter using that method. The biggest thing is to keep the can inside your jacket so the paint stays warm until you spray.

This had better work, or you and Bundy will never hear the end of it, because I won't, either. :-)

I/we'll find some reason to blame it on you, don't worry.

Get in line. :-)
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

put some paper down to protect from overspray and just spray in the basement. I would not even open a window.
safest is a latex paint , then enamel , then laquers.
I would keep any direct heat sources turned off if spraying laquer.

All done. Turned off everything, set up fan in window. Fumes reached the fan, ignited via spark in motor, blew flames onto side of next house. High winds carried fire to the next 11 houses, as well as enormous quantities of fallen leaves. 73 dead, 11 injured. But, the helmet turned out beautifully.

Got 'er Done. That's all that counts. The other issues are a matter for other newsgroups.

which UL listed fan generates sparks? I thouhg most fam motors were shaded pole induction motors without commutators.
been spraypainting in basements for years, even with furnaces running

zzzzzzz.........