Vented range hood

(Sorry to those who've seen this already, re-posted from early afternoon when few may have been available to respond)
Hi,
I've been looking for a vented range hood for my kitchen, and have a couple of questions.
First, has anyone installed a Nutone Allure WS1 Series range hood? It seems like one of the better models out there, but I'd like to hear from those w/ personal experience. If you have it installed - is it quiet? Did you vent it vertically or horizontally? I'm going to vent horizontally, but I'm concerned that a 3"x10" vent duct (as called for by manufacturer) will created a draft (or cold spot) in the kitchen - is there a way to make the duct directional? (i.e. for cooking area air to only travel out, but not for cold outdoor air to travel in) we are in NH, and winters here call for tight, well-sealed houses...
My house is typical wood framing with vinyl siding. I'm hoping that the studs line up correctly w/ the positioning of the stove/cabinetry (which cannot be changed) so that the vent duct hole isn't smack dab in the middle of a 2x4 (w/ 16" spacing the odds would appear to be on my side). Once I cut these holes in the walls of the house to vent the range hood, what works best to "cap" the hole made outside in the vinyl siding? - a vinyl louver? can I get one that's color-matched? or maybe something made of metal? All my exterior trim is white.... Vent will be in kind of an odd spot (middle of the back of the house) and I'm concerned about the aesthetics...
Also, the price is 150.00 for black model - 180.00 for Stainless Steel. I can use either as the stove (and other appliances) are a combination of both. Anyone use a SS model? are fingerprints/grease a problem? I'm thinking that black will be easier to keep looking clean...
Thanks in advance for any/all info
Kevin O'

no actually we were available but decided not to respond. can't you get a hint BKO geeeeeesh! get lost.

couple
seems
w/
it
for
I installed a Nutone which I think might have been an Allure, and the duct is directional. It's not watertight, but there's a vent flap the automatically closes when the fan is off. Is it "tight, well sealed"? Probably not. You could probably add some closed cell foam to surroung the flap to make a decent seal.
Kevin,
It is not necessary to repost. Your post will be on any public newsgroup for as long as various servers save it, and indefinitely in archives like Google.. Just post once and be patient. You will get responses over a period of time from those who have a suggestion to offer. Just keep checking back for several days. What normally happens is someone will answer, someone else will add to it or disagree and offer a different idea. You then sort them out. Study a group for awhile before asking and you can generally determine credible responders on various subjects.
My suggestion is to go to Sears, Lowes or a leading home appliance dealer in your town.. Pick out the best vent. Run it and see if you like the noise level. It won't be the same as in your house, but you will get a relative idea. Ask them all your questions. Hire them to put it in if you have any doubt of your ability. Vent it through the roof if convenient. Use the best vent outlet you can buy . If the outlet Sears or the dealer has is not high quality, buy one from a sheet metal fabricator. They have commercial units. That will automatically close and cut off incoming air when your fan is not running and open when it is.. Buy yourself a good do-it-yourself encyclopedia and follow it for this and future jobs if you do it yourself, or to know what to ask and expect if you hire it done.. Stainless steel is a fingerprint magnet. Good luck.
Stoney
.
Kevin O' wrote:

Hi Stoney,
Thanks, but honestly I expected more from some of the regular folks who post to this group. I post regularly and try to help out where I can - and you're right - patience is good, but old posts don't get responses - we both know it.
I am a disappointed to say the least. Certain folks posted as expected, simply put - to expect shit to smell good would be a fools errand (3GCPO). Anyway, I'll do the best I can with the little I got - better than nothing.
Newsgroups are tough sometimes, you try to help and mean people try to hurt - mostly because they live sad, meaningless lives - I guess that's life. I guess the consolation I can take from this is it's not my life...
I'll just install the vent and be done with it, and I think I'll also stop monitoring this group - the "mean" factor is getting too high.
Best, and yes it's true:
"Mean People Suck"
K.

for as

Google.. Just

from
days.
or
for
on
in
level.
Ask
your
you
one
and
follow it

Good
couple
seems
w/
vent it

the
for
middle
cut
louver?
All my

of
thinking
Kevin O' wrote:

I don't understand why you're complaining. It appears to me that you got quite a bit of decent advice from jeffc and Stoney. Ignore the rest if it doesn't help you. Have you done much looking on the web?
g'luck.
Hi Kevin,
I first read the initial reply to your post that kinda dismissed your question and then read your question to see what it was all about. There is a tendency in this newsgroup for the responders not to include the thread so it is sometimes a mystery just what they are answering. My impression from your question was that you were overwhelmed by choices and unknowns, and that you did not have the experience to give you confidence in installing it yourself. My initial reaction was that you needed a pro to install your vent. But, as a do-it-yourselfer, I know that when we can do it ourselves, we all want to if we can find the time.
I have installed only one vent hood. That is my total experience on the subject. But, to do it, I had to know something about running a duct, cutting the roof, installing a roof outlet and assuring it did not leak, and running an electrical circuit to the location. To make it fit where none had been before, I had to take down the cabinets mounted over the stove, reduce their height on a table saw, and resize the doors. It was a very time consuming project. You added the parameter of going horizontally through the back of your house, and you worried about the stud locations, and the aesthetics of the finished product. You were concerned about fingerprints on stainless. All in all, you asked a very complex question and it may have deterred some answers.
I tackle most any project at my home, but I don't do that unarmed. I have a library of help books, and I research on the web and ask questions of the dealers before starting anything major. If you had done any research at all, it seems you would know about vent outlets and how they prevent most air incursion with a flap closure. So, yes, your question seemed like a plea for a general education on the subject following limited prep on your part. So, you may be being a little hard on those who did not respond, or who did not provide you just what your were looking for. I am guilty of that. I did not address your question about the Nutone, because I am unfamiliar with it. I bought my hood from Sears, but that does not mean that today that would be the best choice. I think you have to go out and compare what is available in person. A vent hood is not an expensive purchase, but you have to live with it a long time, so it is important to get it right. The best product for the job at hand is not always the most expensive, but it may be.
The decision on such as color or stainless is made by my wife. She has vetoed any future stainless after a previous house with stainless appliances. So what I gave you in my brief answer was a summary of all those impressions and experience and biased opinion without going into detail as to why. I hoped that would help you decide what to do. And you have decided to do it yourself. Good luck on the project. If you go horizontal and out the center of the back of your house, I would wonder about the grease accumulating on your rear wall. That is why I suggested going through the roof if possible.
Stoney