vented or ventless fireplace?

Its a little warm here to be talking about fireplaces but I have some questions. I have a prefab wood burning fireplace with gas starter that really puts out no heat and when is not used lets drafts in. Also my wooden chimney box is in bad shape and I want to just remove it from the house(ranch style) and put new siding on the back of the house..This would give me more patio room as well since the chimney box intrudes into that space. I would rather put the money it would take to repair the chimney into a vented/ventless type fireplace. looks like the vented style would be easy to run its intake/exhaust thru the wall behind the fireplace. Of course the ventless would be even easier to install. Anyone have this type of fireplace? Any comments welcome. Do they work well? How about cost to use? Comfort? Thanks! Rob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Ventless release Co and use the available oxygen. Sure there are " safteys" but anything can malfunction and someday will. In a modern tight house you already may have poor air. Vented are low risk.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
ROBMURR wrote:

Ventless has some additional risk connected with it. If, unlike most, your home has excessive moisture during the time of year you may use it, then it will add more moisture. If like most you have low humidity, it will add some.
Some people report they don't like the odor of a ventless unit.
Vent type is going to create a new problem for you. If I am guessing right, that vent will end up going right to the patio. That would be a safety hazard (hot surfaces) and I would guess most building codes would not allow the patio and vent to share the same space.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Here in Tennessee unvented heaters and fireplaces are common. Some places prohibit them. Check your local codes on this. Modern day heaters have a sensor that will shut them off if oxygen level drops below a safe point. However, unvented heaters do put some pollutants into the living space so you should have adequate air ventilation. I have an unvented heater. The owner's manual says there should be an opening from living space to outside air of 1 sq in for each 1000 BTU. I have a dryer vent opening with a screen across it. In a cold climate, that could let in a lot of cold air.
Bob
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
We just had a vented put in to replace fireplace gas logs and love it. Would never buy ventless. Buy one with ceramic glass even though they cost more. Some are 80% efficient.

out no

bad
siding on

the
to
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.