Vent to toilet?

My low-flow toilet is now just swirling away. A quick plunge and the basin empties. I've checked the main outtake pipe and no back-ups (thankfully) but I haven't visited the roof. How can I clear the vent and is there a manner that is most effective?

Reply to
The Ranger

Hi, If you are going upto roof, carry a garden hose ready to shoot down water thru vent.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I found a broom handle was really effective in clearing a blocked vent from the roof. Must have been sticks and leaves? Water hose sounds good if you can't see/reach the clog.

Reply to
teabird

Ran the garden hose down each vent.

Thanks for that idea.

I was surprised at the amount of "stuff" in each. I could hear when each cleared itself through gravity and pressure. Unfortunately, the one in question refused all manner of things I jammed into it. I think I'll have to borrow my FIL's power snake and run it as best I can. The toilet in question just isn't pulling the water from the basin; swirls it about, raises the level and slowly falls back to it's original watermarked height.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

That doesn't sound like it is necessarily a clogged vent, the vent is used to keep from siphoning out the water in the trap when other fixtures on the same drain line flush.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Any suggestions on what it might be. I'm tapped out because when I plunge it, the water immediately exits. Unless (until) I plunge it, it fills the bowl and swirls about to the very rim.

Thanks!

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

either the jet drain at the bottom is plugged, or the small orifices under the rim are. caused by calcium deposits.

Reply to
charlie

I watched the jet because that was my second thought (first being that /something/ was in the s-curve that the jet pushes waste into causing the back-up) and then I checked the rim-outlets to make sure none of them were clogged. The water empties from the storage basin and fills the bowl, and when plunged, all the areas are flowing freely. I'll check again, though, just because there might have been something I missed.

Thanks.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

..

First does the toilet flush solids fine if you use a bucket of water to flush? if so its acid time

plunge toilet remove ALL water!!

Then give toilet a muriatic acid dose down the dip tube. Its cheap 8 bucks a gallon and worth a try.

probably caused by sediment build up in interior toilet bowl rim passages

the acid will dissolve the crud

Reply to
hallerb

Reply to
don &/or Lucille

Gahds, I'm hoping we're many-years past that point... I'm going to lift it today and see if there's anything down there that shouldn't be.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

By the time I got to this thread, so I missed the entire thread before this one.

Please, what is "CLR"?

Thanks,

David

Reply to