Vent stack too short at roof

I just had a plumber help me with some remodeling. One of the items he did was swap out my old cast iron stack with a black PVC stack... well I got up on the roof today, and the darn thing is practically flush with the rubber boot (maybe an inch or so beyond it).
We're in Ohio, so I think code says it has to hit 12" because of snow. What are my options? My plan was to simply buy a coupler and another 12" of pipe and try to pvc-glue it together... is that allowed by code?

*You should be asking your plumber back to correct it. I think that the coupling should go below the roof so that it does not become a problem if the flashing has to be replaced.

That wouldn't be a problem. By far the easiest way out. But before you commit to accepting that solution, let me ask a couple of questions. What is the diameter of the stack as it exits the roof? Is the pipe black or painted black?
Are you sure the code says that? Always check. But up here in Winnipeg Canada, or affectionately called Winterpeg our stacks are pretty much flush, like yours appears to be. Snow cover is not an issue. It usually will melt from the heat rising out. And it is a hole. And if there is any temporary snow cover you usually have no problem breathing through it.
The problem comes when the stack IS a foot above the roof line. The moist air rising up has a tendency to condense then freeze in the section above the roof line. And it will freeze solid. Then you have trouble. Been my experience anyways.
But like I said check your code to make sure what the locals want. They always claim to know best!!
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:25:04 -0700, Skylar wrote:

@John - He was sort of shady in general, so i'd rather be done with him and just not call him back.
@Ricod - I want to say 6" but I'll have to climb up and confirm that. The concrete is still curing downstairs so I can't get at it from the base yet. It's definitely black plastic (pvc?) as I could see the interior when they were cutting pieces and it was black all the way through.
@DM - Thanks, maybe I'll give the county a call in the AM and find out.
- I want to say 6" but I'll have to climb up and confirm that.

Black has always been ABS, PVC is white or cream colored.
If adding above the roof line be careful not to compress the rubber boot.
If I had to do it that way I would glue the coupler to the short section and then use 2 SS crews to connect the coupler to the existing pipe. Someday that piece of pipe will have to come off when the roof is redone. The screws will allow it to be removed. SS screws will not rust.
Since it is just a vent the screws will do no harm.

That is a better way to do it. Good call on the reroof.
My question about the color and diameter of the pipe has to do with code. I'm not sure what code applies for the OP, but if it's the IRC or some similar flavor; in a heavy snow area the minimum diameter as it exits the roof is 3", plastic has to be painted, and the vent has to be 6" above the roof.

yes - good call on the screw in extension, i would have just glued it and regretted it years later.
Black plastic is usually ABS