Vent Stack Dead End in Basement?

We had a leak from what Im assuming is a dead end in the vent stack located in the basement.
This is directly below the 1 vanity on the main floor and hangs down about 8 inches through a cutout in the floor.
About two cups of clear water leaked out of the cap. (no run down on the pipe itself)
The toilet at the vanity was partially drained at the bowel.
The cap is not glued and again, this is where the water leaked from.
The pipe itself isn't glued properly as I can turn it.
Im assuming I will be opening up the wall behind the vanity (in the hallway) to access the plumbing.
Can I remove the dead end completely if there are no plans to finish the basement?
Cheers
xms wrote:

Sounds like a "hack" job from the git-go.
Without seeing the entire layout of the stack nobody could tell you what the proper fix will be.
But, yes, at least cap it off so it doesn't leak for now.
Jim
It's probably the vent needed for an ejector pit if you want a bathroom in the basement.
I should be glued with a cap to seal it until needed.