Vent screw keeps falling

John:

T > I have one screw that will stay in the ceiling metal register for a few T > months at a time, but it always falls out. T > T > How can I repair this so it has something to 'grab'? I have wrapped Teflon T > tape around the ridges of the screw to hopefully give it more surface area T > to attach to...

Using the next-larger screw may be a possiblity, as someone else suggested, presuming the hole in the vent is sufficiently large. If the screw screws into a metal flange there are U-shaped clips with a threaded hole for bolts (not sure if this is the "Timmerman" thing someone else suggested).

Depending on the scenario you might try those plastic 'mollies' ==> I'd only use them where it would expand against something solid, but sheetrock is not solid: eventually a large hole will be created. The metal mollies may work: the "wings" expand behind the sheetrock for more surface area. Be sure to get the correct mollie for the drywall thickness.

  • Emotion = Electronic motion??
Reply to
barry martin

[snip]
[snip]

Yep, U-shaped clips, spelled "Tinnerman".

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson