Vent/register and air return register covers.

I have a spare bedroom that has 3 registers. The room never gets used. Although the vents do close, there is some leakage out of them. With winter coming, I was thinking about using magnetic covers to save energy. Is there enough air coming through these vents to make a difference? See link below.

Also, when I bought my place last year, it did not have AC. I replaced the gas furnace and had central air installed. The two bedrooms are on the upper level. I have a high air return register in the hallway between the bedrooms. I have another air return register on the main level of my home, plus one in the finished basement right by the furnace. Due to high ceilings in the bedrooms upstairs, it takes a lot of heated air to heat the upstairs. Would it be wise, when I start using the furnace, to cover the air return register upstairs until warm weather returns?

Thanks!

Reply to
Dan P

No, In fact you may be causing problems as it is now.

Depending on the sizing of the system it is expecting to flow between X & Y amount of air when operating. Reducing that can strain the air handling system and more. It is not possible to tell from here but I would leave them at least partly on all year.

No. Frankly the more airflow the better is usually the answer.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Hi, It is not a good idea to make a room too cold or hot even if unoccupied. Air circulation is balanced and messing with it too much may create an unexpected problem. I have 2 story house with 2 zone heat/ac which is much easier to maintain even temp. hot or cold. Our NG is government subsidized when the price goes over trigger point in winter. My electricity is 7 cents/kwh locked in for next 5 years.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

No but ceiling (or other) fans blowing up would help.

Reply to
dadiOH