Vent Free Heater Trouble

I have a 30,000 btu heater I just purchased. I am wanting to use this for a small garage(500 square feet). I used a gas grille regulator to hook it up, to see if it would work. It lights and runs for a couple of minutes, then shuts off and kills the pilot. Do I have to have a different style regulator for this? Do I have a problem with my unit? Can I use a small tank, until I get a larger tank. I appreciate any help I can get.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:01:41 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (skippy7024) wrote:

Does it have an oxygen sensor that knows you're about to kill yourself & it shuts itself off? [It should say on a tag somewhere what the regulator requirements are. If not- check the manufacturer's website] Tank size doesn't matter.
How tight is that garage? If it is fairly tight I think you're pressing your luck with a heater that size. At the very least, spend $40 and get a CO monitor. Get a digital one that remembers what the highest reading is. I have one [about $60?] that also monitors for explosive gases.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
skippy7024 wrote:

Hmmm, Ventless? where CO would go? And Safety? CO poisoning or fire?
Add pictures here
✖
skippy7024 wrote:

Personally I don't like the idea of an open flame in a garage were there is gasoline. However I suspect your heater is sensing something. It may be reduced OČ or CO increase or gasoline fumes may be triggering the sensor. Check the owner's - installation manual.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
✖
Thanks for the reply. It does have a oxygen sensor on it. I did purchase a CO monitor. This heater is mounted next to a door. When I was trying to use it, the door was open. The CO monitor reads aroun 22.1 - 22.4. I hope this info helps you out.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:04:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (skippy7024) wrote:

If it was near an open door, maybe the pilot was getting blown out. As soon as the thermocouple cooled off it would close the gas line.
It *could* still be the regulator, but you'd need to know what the install instructions call for.
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
skippy7024 wrote:

If I remember correctly if my CO monitor reads 22, I don't want to be there.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
✖
On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 19:42:29 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Your memory probably failed you this time. I get an occasional reading of 26. [I've never seen it on anything but 0, but it records the highest reading and every few days I check it and it has a number in the 20s] 40 for more than 3 hrs sets off my alarm.
If it was constantly in the 20's it might alarm me a bit but OSHA allows 35ppm over a 8 hr workday. [and that would seem to indicate 40 hours a week]
This page has some effects of different levels- http://www.sparksfire.org/co.htm
Jim
Add pictures here
✖
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

You are right. I was thinking the one I had used a different scale, but it is measuring PPM.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
✖
I guess I need to be more specific. I have a 30 x 40 pole barn. I sectioned half of it off. I drywalled it and insulated it. I built a bar and added a couple of TV's. I park my motorcycle in it on the opposite end from where the heater is mounted. There are no tools or flammable items in the garage. Minus the motorcycle. I have an airconditioner in this room also. This really just a hang out pad for the guys.
Add pictures here
✖

If you are using a small tank the tank may be getting too cold and thus causing the gas pressure to get too low. Don Young
Add pictures here
✖