Vent Free Heater Trouble

I have a 30,000 btu heater I just purchased. I am wanting to use this for a small garage(500 square feet). I used a gas grille regulator to hook it up, to see if it would work. It lights and runs for a couple of minutes, then shuts off and kills the pilot. Do I have to have a different style regulator for this? Do I have a problem with my unit? Can I use a small tank, until I get a larger tank. I appreciate any help I can get.

Reply to
skippy7024

Does it have an oxygen sensor that knows you're about to kill yourself & it shuts itself off? [It should say on a tag somewhere what the regulator requirements are. If not- check the manufacturer's website] Tank size doesn't matter.

How tight is that garage? If it is fairly tight I think you're pressing your luck with a heater that size. At the very least, spend $40 and get a CO monitor. Get a digital one that remembers what the highest reading is. I have one [about $60?] that also monitors for explosive gases.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Hmmm, Ventless? where CO would go? And Safety? CO poisoning or fire?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Personally I don't like the idea of an open flame in a garage were there is gasoline. However I suspect your heater is sensing something. It may be reduced O² or CO increase or gasoline fumes may be triggering the sensor. Check the owner's - installation manual.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks for the reply. It does have a oxygen sensor on it. I did purchase a CO monitor. This heater is mounted next to a door. When I was trying to use it, the door was open. The CO monitor reads aroun 22.1 - 22.4. I hope this info helps you out.

Reply to
skippy7024

I guess I need to be more specific. I have a 30 x 40 pole barn. I sectioned half of it off. I drywalled it and insulated it. I built a bar and added a couple of TV's. I park my motorcycle in it on the opposite end from where the heater is mounted. There are no tools or flammable items in the garage. Minus the motorcycle. I have an airconditioner in this room also. This really just a hang out pad for the guys.

Reply to
skippy7024

If it was near an open door, maybe the pilot was getting blown out. As soon as the thermocouple cooled off it would close the gas line.

It *could* still be the regulator, but you'd need to know what the install instructions call for.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If I remember correctly if my CO monitor reads 22, I don't want to be there.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you are using a small tank the tank may be getting too cold and thus causing the gas pressure to get too low. Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Your memory probably failed you this time. I get an occasional reading of 26. [I've never seen it on anything but 0, but it records the highest reading and every few days I check it and it has a number in the 20s] 40 for more than 3 hrs sets off my alarm.

If it was constantly in the 20's it might alarm me a bit but OSHA allows 35ppm over a 8 hr workday. [and that would seem to indicate 40 hours a week]

This page has some effects of different levels-

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You are right. I was thinking the one I had used a different scale, but it is measuring PPM.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan