Vent down instead of up?

One of our kitchen sinks has a vent problem , I think it is connected to a vertcial vent that exits via the roof. However, the set up is with a double sink connected to a common U trap. One sink has a disposal. If the other sink's drain is sealed then the water does not flow out of the disposal sink. Once you unseal the other sink all is well. Also this sink sometimes gets an awful sewer like smell. I clean the disposal regularilly with bleach so it is not this. I wondered if I could put a seperate vent to this system , but I cannot go up . Would it be OK if I went down after making a U above the sink pipes, I have plenty of space under the house, but it would be difficult ( lots of walls to cut into ! ) to go up. If you have any ideas please cc my email so I don't miss your great thoughts.

There is another thread about vents just in the past two days or so:
Subject: Bad smell from utility sink. User-Agent: slrn/0.9.8.1 (Linux) Lines: 14
In Agent you can Sample this group and if you put in the last 100 or 200 posts, you should get this thread back. Or you can use groups.google .
Anyhow, I think you should unclog the current vent. Was your house built by madmen? If not, theywould have put in a vent for every sink, tub, and toilet. It sounds like yours is plugged, and it's using the other half of the sink to get started. however, another symptom of a clogged vent is that it siphons the water out of your pipe, emptying the trap, and that's why you smell sewer gas.

Try putting a garden hose down the vent from the roof. Might clean it out.. Most vents go up, There is a loop vent for Island. Put if your getting sewer odor your trap is dry . Both sinks go into the trap right?