Vent cellar?

I have a front porch that I have hired a company to repair. They will be tuckpointing and replacing a step. Under the porch is a fruit cellar accessible from the basement. It has cinder block walls, no exposed dirt. There is a vent in the side of the porch from the cellar. I am concerned about rodents and insects having access to the house thru this vent. My contractor has offered me the option of a chimney vent to replace this vent or to just seal it off. Is there a good reason not to seal it. The cellar is unused.

Reply to
lboocker143214

I would make sure that some air is exchanged with the basement. Some moisture probably seeps into the air from the ground through the wall and slab. If not allowed to mix with other air and balance the relative humidity, it will probably start a mold forest. T

Reply to
AAllc.architects

If you never plant to use the root cellar then there is no reason not to seal it. Root cellars are made with a vent in order to remove the humidity.

A real root cellar is constructed seperate from the basement. So long as yours is not connected to a basement then no worries. If it's connected then you may have the problem the other guy said, a buildup of moisture in the basement. If you decide to use it in the future then a vent can be re-installed

Reply to
Lawrence