Veneer plaster finish textures

I'm curious about different finish textures for veneer plaster on gypsum blueboard. I've done a little plastering using a single coat of unsanded veneer plaster (Diamond brand) with a smooth hard trowel finish, but I found it quite difficult to get it really smooth. Using a pinch of cream of tartar as a retarder helped somewhat.
Does a floated finish require using a sanded plaster for the finish coat and/or using a two coat process? I'd like something with just a little more texture than the smooth hard trowl finish, what would be an appropriate float?
Thanks, Wayne