vendor for older-style circuit breakers?

Who's a good online vendor for older-style circuit breakers? This is not an especially old house, having been built in the early 1970's, but the breaker style is one that the local HD's, Lowes, do not carry.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Best bet is likely your local electrical supply house. Bring in an old one. The DIY stores don't stock a wide range.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Do you want to give a clue to the manufacture of the breaker? What exactly are you looking for? single poles or double poles.

Reply to
SQLit

Don't think this uncommon- even in newer installations it depends on what the local contractors are using. I found this out when I tried to replace some Gould breakers that I knew were still in production but not available locally. I had done the main box a few years earlier and used a discounted type system. Now I know why it was discounted! What ever is common in your area at the time ( or very shortly after) is what the suppliers carry. -Dan

Reply to
Dan Hall

Hey, Mike, post a digital pic on some web site (no attachments) if you can't identify the brand.

Obscure breakers pop up on eBay too. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I hadn't taken the part out yet -- it's helping the furnace keep the house warm. I'm just looking for a pointer to a vendor online that has generally come to be known as the good source for a broad variety of electrical parts. The plan (which is probably a good one) is to sit down with the part right next to me here on the kitchen table, and browse that vendor's online catalog, while sipping a nice cup of coffee and see if'n I can't find that part.

If I fail dismally, then I would next post whatever is written on the part as a request for help finding a replacement. But I like catalogs. In other words, I'm asking where a good fishing hole is, not for someone to find me a certain fish.

So . . . is there a generally-recognized online vendor of lots and lots of swell household-type electrical parts, including older-styles of circuit breakers?

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Will do, Jim. Right now its keeping the furnace on. We are having a cold snap out here in SoCal. The mercury has dipped down into the mid-40's (F). For a SoCalifornian, that is brisk weather. Brrr. My lovely wife would cry if I shut the furnace off right now. I'll wait until midday. Stupid breaker box is buried behind some kind of giant philodenron. Looks like a man-eater. I'll need protective gear.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Mike; Don't know if this source will sell circuit breakers in "onesey-twosy" quantities OR to the public (as it is a source for us pro's), but you can try calling Breaker King at 1-800-843-6797 or Fax them at 1-419-663-6903. There is also Oregon Breakers here in Portland, OR. 1-503-736-0921. One of them may be able to help you. If your circuit breaker panel is one of the "American" style, the plug-in type like GE, ITE (Gould), Murray, Arrow-Hart, Challenger, Bryant/Westinghouse, American, then Cutler-Hammer (who now own Bryant/Westinghouse) has a BR-style UL rated "classified" circuit breaker that is UL approved in many of these old panels. They are only available in "full size" forms, not in the "thin", "mini", "wafer", "twin" sizes. Hope one of these answers will help you in the right direction!!!! Bruce

Reply to
Richard B. (Bruce) Leiby

Thanks, Bruce! It's clearly time for me to clamber behind the man-eating philodendron and open up that breaker panel and see what the heck style of breakers are lurking within.