VCR no longer records color

Page 2 of 2
Rex's Mom wrote:

It is worth repairing your VCR only if it has sentimental value. A machine that old has exceded its design life and is likely to give you more trouble in the future - don't expect video cassets to be popular for much longer.
Consider, getting a newer one or buying some new technology like recordable dvd or a hard drive recorder.

Just get the replacement color cartridges. You got a lot of life out of them, most don't last more than a few years. Any appliance store will have them.
or rent an 8300HD scientific atlanta cable box with up to 100 hours of recording from your cable company. it will play even the hd channels onto your standard tv set. like mine. what a picture!

But is there anyway to transfer shows to a computer (like the ReplayTV models do over a network)? This unit can be used with any cable converter.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
:My VERY old VCR (purchased 1988) has suddently stopped :recording in color and/or shows a bit of color. : :It happily coped with 2000, so it is obviously a good machine. : :Is it even worth investigating a fix or should I just buy a :new one?
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I thought of posting but found the problem. Question: Does the picture have color when you use the tuner in the VCR? Or does it only come out black and white when you make a recording? In my case, everything was suddenly B&W, and there was a channel or two it wouldn't pick up at all. Fixed when I changed a position of a switch from Cable to TV. It had somehow gotten changed inadvertently. This VCR was almost as old as yours - bought in 1989, I believe!
Get a satellite dish or Digital Video Recorder, most common name TIVO. Each hour of commercial TV has at least 15 minutes of commercials you can easily skip thru. Start watching a show while its still recording... CANT do that with a VCR. They have the new pocket dish, to take your shows recorded with you on a carryable unit.
a DVR will change how you watch tv forever:)

Note that it's TiVo (with the embedded TV) and is a brand name. I have always used ReplayTV PVRs, and often hear that TiVo is better for idiots and ReplayTV is better for people actually interested in the units.
For one thing, both allow you to transfer shows to a networked computer (most other brands do not). However, TiVo adds to the difficulty by using more of the "protection" @#$%.

True. Most commercial TV "hour" shows are 43-45 minutes long with the commercials edited out. PBS has fewer commercials, so those shows are 52-55 minutes.

Before PVRs, I would think about that. Such a device is possible, but very complicated (and expensive).

Yes. One of those portable video players would be nice.

Very much. With the schedule automatically downloaded (I know Replay uses Zap2It) & Theme channels (TiVo calls them "season passes"), you can set it to record all episodes of any show you want. Time and channel number become irrelevant. You can then watch the shows any time you want, you don't have to know when it's on and what channel (you can still find out if you want to). Recorded shows can be easily transferred to a computer (TiVo requires "protection" software on the computer; ReplayTV does not, a free program called DVArchive from http://www.dvarchive.org/ is all you need).