VCR no longer records color

Page 1 of 2
My VERY old VCR (purchased 1988) has suddently stopped recording in color and/or shows a bit of color.
It happily coped with 2000, so it is obviously a good machine.
Is it even worth investigating a fix or should I just buy a new one?
--

Rex\'s Mom

For about $6, you could pick up a VCR cleaning cassette and see if it helps. If not, toss the machine, unless it's really high-end thing with features you can't find any more. You can pick up a new VCR for around $100 these days. Less, actually, if you don't mind a brand you've never heard of, imported by a company which may or may not have a working telephone number.
Doug Kanter wrote:

cassette (have one, but it might be too old).
In fact, other than the fact that the vcr is soooo easy to program, it does not have any wonderful bells and whistles. Plus, when I try to play tapes it has recorded on my newer VCR, there is usually a synchronization problem with voice and image. So the mouths are moving, but the words don't match!!
Will try the cleaning (btw, it does record even if only b&w) and then (probably) start looking for a new one.
--

Rex\'s Mom

This is good. You can practice lip reading, and learn if you got it right just a couple seconds later. If the sound comes out earlier, change which one records and which one plays.
When you are done, you'll be able to watch spies having meetings in outdoor cafes, and you'll be able to repeat what they say.

An you can probably buy a better and much newer one for about $2 at a local thrift shop. They are being thrown out by the thousands.
Use a Maxell wet cleaning tape available from Circuit city.
Or buy a used Mitsubishi 795 or 778 vcr on ebay. They are probably the best units ever made and go for $100 to $150 and are well worth it. Far superior to the junk being sold today.

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:19:16 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

ad. Be sure to NOT list the shipping and handling fees where they are easy to see. Bury them in the 1/2 meg of text and use a very small font. Be sure to tell everyone it's LIKE NEW, and in perfect working condition. You will likely find some sucker to pay you $5 for it as an antique, them punch them in the gut with a $89.95 shipping and handling fee. That's how ebay works these days, so you may as well do your part in robbing someone too.
Be sure to include pictures of the VCR, and individual pictures of the end of the power cord, the jacks on the rear, each button, the clock flashing 12:00 AND with the correct time, and if possible include a FLASH movie of a cassette being inserted. Then too, it never hurts to put some shots of your tv screen with a naked woman in the picture. Remember - SEX SELLS.
By the time you finish, you should have enough money to buy a new VCR.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Hope I never buy anything from you!
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

--

Rex\'s Mom

Yes, but if you have been on Ebay lately, this is darn near the truth. I used to buy from ebay regularly. Last year I bought 2 items, and one of them was a xmas gift for an out of town relative, and buying online saves me the hassle of shipping and all. Ebay continues to degrade and it's unlikely I will use it at all anymore.
"10. snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Jan 17, 4:02 pm Yes, but if you have been on Ebay lately, this is darn near the truth. I used to buy from ebay regularly. Last year I bought 2 items, and one of them was a xmas gift for an out of town relative, and buying online saves me the hassle of shipping and all. Ebay continues to degrade and it's unlikely I will use it at all anymore. "
Another thing I have noticed is that people today seem increasingly ready to bid up items to full retail, or even beyond. This despite they are buying it from someone with maybe 2 feedbacks in their profile. Just the other day I was looking at a snowboard that was listed as being used for one day. The seller had never sold anything on Ebay before and had only been a member for a week. I emailed the seller and asked if it could be picked up instead of shipped. The answer was no. That was all I needed to hear. Yet, that board went for $330. A brand new one lists for $499. So, it could still be a good deal, assuming it is as described and he actually ships it. I just saw a snowboard goggle lens go for $35, when it lists for $30 retail. And buying it either local or from an online shop, you're sure what you;re really getting, can return it, etc. I've seen this crazy bidding up to the price you could get the item in a store with cameras. People apparently don't care that they're likely buying some export model with no warranty, no returns, etc, yet paying full price for it.
An example of shystering I just ran into. I bought an item from a seller that had excellent feedback, stated he prefers Paypal, and had the Paypal logo with the various credit card images displayed in the listing. I won it and immediately paid via a credit card through Paypal. Few days later, I notice the item is still showing unpaid. I check my email and the seller says "I don't take credit cards through Paypal." , so the payment was rejected by him. Now, this isn't the biggest thing, but it is misrepresentation and he does it in all his auctions and gets away with it. His excuse is that the Paypal logo that he puts in the listings only comes with the credit card images. Which isn't an excuse, because all he has to do is say in the listing that he won't take credit cards through Paypal. What he's doing is tricking buyers into thinking he does take them, but won't because the way Paypal works, then he would have to pay Paypal about 2.9% on all the payments he receives. Of course, what he doesn't realize is that guys like me will never do business with him again because it leads me to question what other misrepresentations he's making.
Another good example of what can happen is this. I heard a story where a person won a snowboard on Ebay that said buyer pays for shipping/handling, with no amount given. So, the seller then wants $40 because they are taking the board to Mail Boxes etc to do the boxing, packing, shipping. Now, who's right in this case? I'm sure you could pay that much to ship it using one of those services, but most people would expect it to cost more like $20, with the seller packing it and shipping via UPS. So they wound up in a nasty dispute. That's why I will never bid on something unless I know the full shipping/handling cost upfront.
The sad truth is, if more people had some sense and held people accountable, Ebay would be a much better place.
On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 16:19:16 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

It's definitely the case that there are many features that can't be found on current machines. Mine kept track of how much tape was LEFT on the reel. Displayed the time and station and everything else at the same time. Enabled me to mark spots on the tape, just by pressing a button, in addition to the spots marked when I started recording, and to ERASE marks that I or the machine had put there.
That machine needs r epair and my current machine won't even tell me what station it is recording off of.
But even if cheap, I would keep the old machine to PLAY tapes that were recorded elsewhere.

Myt friend bought a cheap one, with a DVD player. Doesn't even keep track of the time or presets during a power failure. Drives her crazy.
There are a variety of DVD-players/VCRs for $100 or thereabouts.
18-yr-old VCR has probably had its head polished down summat.
Maybe it WAS good- nothing to do with Y2K, though. Right now, it's telling you something- like, grandkids could use it as a toy. Or, it could prop up a tv.
snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote:

dosen't bring it back usually the head is shot and needs to be replaced. More expense than it's worth. I have two all used units purchased at garage sales or on Craig's list for under $10 each. Richard
spudnuty wrote:

market and get a dbd/vcr combo. On the other hand...
--

Rex\'s Mom

snipped-for-privacy@sme-online.com wrote:

My Y2K comment had more to do with all of the naysayers who said that equipment 'that old' would be unable to cope. I think they are the same folks who think that people of a certain age would be unable to keep up with technology!
Since it is not my only VCR, think I'll put replacing it on the back burner.
--

Rex\'s Mom

Its an antique, fix it someday it will be worth alot of money
Rex's Mom wrote:

You can't fix it for the cost of a new one and a $50 new one will be way superior to your old VCR. Heck, by a VCR and DVD combo unit.

What's a VCR???
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 00:32:21 GMT, "Red Neckerson"

Video Crap Replay