vaseline on toilet bolts

anybody know if putting vaseline on toilet bolts to inhibit rusting works or if it's a bad idea?
I'm talking about the bolts that attach to the closet ring and also the ones that connect the tank to the bowl. had one new bolt (less than a year old) rust so bad I had to cut it off.

This is Turtle.
If you want duriablity. Go down to the Auto Parts house and get you some Stainless Steel nuts & bolts and put them on there. Then in about 50 years or so change the thing out and reuse the old bolts.
TURTLE
Handy Thumb wrote:

I always do, have never had to cut one.
-- dadiOH _____________________________
Handy Thumb wrote:

The idea is good, but Vaseline is not really the right material.
Get some anti-seize material from the auto parts store.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

works
We use stainless steel bolts and washers. Two ss bolts etc. don't cost much. Terry.

I agree with the SS bolts which I intend to use next time'
Brass ones last only about 2 years before SEVERE CORROSION.
Within another year of so , you need to replace to avoid a potential flood.
As a kid I NEVER remember seeing any of these things replaced on toilets back in the 40s and 50s.
Has the QUALITY of brass changed since the 40s and 50s and is now corroding as rapidly as it does ???
I went to the plumbing store last time for BRASS bolts figuring it would be better than Depot or Lowes, he sold me the SAME ITEM at a higher $$$.
I remember seeing plumbers for replacing WASHERS and maybe an occasional drain, but not for corroded toilet bolts and such.
Today I find pinholes forming little "crusties" on the outside of BRASS valves for shutoffs, etc.
TIA
Conase writes:

There are many varieties of brass alloys. Imports don't tend to care much about using appropriate ones.

In my vintage 1950 house the solid brass parts have held up well, but those are only door knobs. The brass plated stuff looks like crap. Stainless steel is MUCH better. It's not some crappy plating like brass that wears off, plus it looks much nicer than brass. I used to work at a waste water treatment plant along a mildly salty river and they had stainless steel al over the place and it hold up real well under bad conditions for a very long time!
I'd also grease the stainless steel bolts that you put in.
Joseph Meehan writes:

Yes, the auto parts people add to the petroleum grease (Vaseline) a pretty silver color.

Try using stainless steel hardware instead.
Another suggestion that's worked for me is to fill the plastic caps that go over the bolts with plumber's putty. This keeps the caps in place and prevents water from dripping down from above to rot your bolts.
On 23 Aug 2004 07:32:33 -0700, scott snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com (Childfree Scott) wrote:

<< anybody know if putting vaseline on toilet bolts to inhibit rusting works or if it's a bad idea? >>
You may find real brass bolts at a good hardware store. Take a magnet with you when you shop. HTH
Joe
On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 04:35:48 GMT, Handy Thumb

Oh my God...... Cutting it off must have been extremely painful. Did you do it yourself, or did you have a doctor do it? I am glad to hear you put vaseline on it first. At least that should help prevent infection.