Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing]

davefr wrote:

It's simply because the first coat protects, so that the second coat will never penetrate. It just sits on top like the water is supposed to do. The only good that a second coat will do is make it slippery.
On 15 Jul 2003 14:00:17 GMT, Ignoramus26572

Don't use _anything_ on a deck that sits on the surface. You will have to scrape and sand later to refinish. It's just not work it. Perhaps some type of absorbing oil would be OK, but not a surface finish like a poly.
The same general advice should be used on houses, but since houses do not often have horizontal components, and since restaining has to be done more often than repainting, many folks paint their house. For some reason no one seems to mind redoing the deck more often, perhaps it's the relative size issue.
Bob
"'nuther Bob" wrote the dumbest thing I have ever read

Are you saying that paint will last longer than stain? painting is usually re-done every 3-5 years I can't remember the last time I re-stained anything though!
M.C. somewhere in Ca.

Yes, I am. Paint is usually good for 5 years, vertical stain for about 3 years. Much less for horizontal. At least, that's what we typically see in the NorthEast.

If you lived around here, your deck would look bad in two years, your house in three.
Bob

Two coat definitely better than one.

The color will darken over time in a good way.

You didn't stain the deck yourself, and want to varnish it yourself? Considering the labor and return, forget varnishing, stain yourself in two years.
What's all this talk about a vanishing house deck. How in the world can a deck vanish? It's so big and heavy, it can't even hide except at night and even then a full moon would not allow it to vanish completely. Perhaps creatures from outer space could make a deck vanish but they could make almost anything vanish, including the house. I don't think it is possible to make a deck van.......
Never mind.

Punch [line] wrote . . .

Aw c'mon Punch, it was in the message posted by Rosanne Rosannadana, can't see how you missed it. :)
Ignoramus26420 wrote:

Varnish is probably not too good a choice. There must be clear poly products for decks. I know that there isa paint category called deck paint. It is harder than varnich and stands up better.
Rick
Try the Cabot's Decking Stain products; they work very well in my experience and are top rated by a well-known consumer magazine. I just did my 22x24 PT deck with 2.5 gallons worth of the stuff and expect to not do it again for 2 years or more.
http://www.cabotstain.com