Varmint(s) under the house

Page 2 of 3
There was just a program on TV today - Nat Geo? - about trap/release possums and racoons. Said they do forage at night and that after trapping, they release them just at dusk so they go on their way with minimum distress. The program, which I didn't watch in it's entirety, was about racoons killing lots of pet cats. Pet owners outraged and upset, but not enough to keep pets indoors. Hmmm....

Of course, you could just ID the footprint. Maybe it's nothing to be concerned about.
http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/circ561.html
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:48:46 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
: :> wrote::> :> :Get a humane trap from animal control. Decide what to do with the :> :animal after it is in the trap. My mom used to relocate possum and :> :racoons. You can do it :o):> :> OK, I may go this route. Again, I'd have to do it until at least a day :> passes with no footprints. I've never relocated a varmint before, but I :> figure I can locate a free trap here in Berkeley, where we celebrate the :> human conscience... sometimes to a fault.:> :> Dan:> : : :Of course, you could just ID the footprint. Maybe it's nothing to be :concerned about. : :http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/circ561.html :
Out of all those, I'd have to say Racoon. However, they didn't show housecat or possum, both of which seem possible hearabouts. It's hard to tell from what I'm seeing. I did see several racoons in the neighborhood a couple of months ago early one morning before sunrise. And, of course, there's loads of cats, including ferral cats around here. I've also seen possums, including one in my kitchen some years ago. I stared it down and subsequently eliminated his/her points of entry.
Dan

When you called your animal control department today, what did you find out about removing the animal?
On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 04:15:08 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
[...]
I did not call them. I figure there's not much point, but I may. Anyway, I have a plan that (if executed properly) should solve the problem -- a portal that allows egress but no ingress.
Dan

Not much point? Why? Hopefully, you're not basing that decision on anything anyone here has said about Berkeley. The animal control department exists for a reason.
Tell them the raccoon has been wandering around in the middle of the day and acting strange. They'll dispatch someone very quickly.
On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 17:49:12 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
: :> :> :> wrote: :> :> :> :> :> :> :Get a humane trap from animal control. Decide what to do with the :> :> :> :animal after it is in the trap. My mom used to relocate possum and :> :> :> :racoons. You can do it :o) :> :> :> :> :> :> OK, I may go this route. Again, I'd have to do it until at least a :> day :> :> :> passes with no footprints. I've never relocated a varmint before, :> but I :> :> :> figure I can locate a free trap here in Berkeley, where we celebrate :> :> the :> :> :> human conscience... sometimes to a fault. :> :> :> :> :> :> Dan :> :> :> :> :> : :> :> : :> :> :Of course, you could just ID the footprint. Maybe it's nothing to be :> :> :concerned about. :> :> : :> :> :http://cahe.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/circ561.html :> :> : :> :> :> :> Out of all those, I'd have to say Racoon. However, they didn't show :> :> housecat or possum, both of which seem possible hearabouts. It's hard :> to :> :> tell from what I'm seeing. I did see several racoons in the :> neighborhood :> :> a couple of months ago early one morning before sunrise. And, of :> course, :> :> there's loads of cats, including ferral cats around here. I've also :> seen :> :> possums, including one in my kitchen some years ago. I stared it down :> :> and subsequently eliminated his/her points of entry. :> :> :> :> Dan :> : :> : :> :When you called your animal control department today, what did you find :> out :> :about removing the animal?:> :> I did not call them. I figure there's not much point, but I may. Anyway, :> I have a plan that (if executed properly) should solve the problem -- a :> portal that allows egress but no ingress.:> :> Dan:> : : :Not much point? Why? Hopefully, you're not basing that decision on anything :anyone here has said about Berkeley. The animal control department exists :for a reason. : :Tell them the raccoon has been wandering around in the middle of the day and :acting strange. They'll dispatch someone very quickly.
You're right. I'm going to call them tomorrow (Monday). They may be helpful and I have nothing to lose. Besides, my plan looks tougher than I figured. People say that racoons (chances are fair to good it IS a racoon) are clever enough to get back in with my hinged door plan.

I didn't read the door plan, but maybe you should design it to keep people out. That'll take care of raccoons.
Racoons are very smart. My FIL has an ongoing battle with them. He uses a baited small animal live trap, and keeps needing to re-engineer the trap because the racoons figure out how to release the catch and escape from it.
    Una
You've already spent wayyyyy too much time worrying about it. Get a pellet gun, flashlight, and a six pack, and skip your favorite TV shows one night. Then, wall off your ingress/egress point, and be done with it.
Una wrote:

If, of course, they were really, really smart perhaps they wouldn't get themselves _in_ the trap to begin with... :)
Have you considered that you're creating a possum and raccon problem in someone else's neighborhood?
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

"Norminn" < snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net> wrote in message

There'd be such a simple solution if they were tasty ........
Norminn wrote:

That .22LR semi auto pistol is a real good tool for relocating possum and racoons.
They never come back.

Yeah, but when (not if) you miss, you can end up relocated, and next thing you know, you're some crack dealer's bitch while you're waiting for your lawyer to get you out of jail.
get a stick and a flashlight and go under there and chase it out..
On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 14:50:51 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Maybe in Berkeley they will let him use a digital game camera to what he really has.
http://www.mosportsmen.com/hunting/deer/gamecamera/camtrakker.jpg

Wouldn't that violate the critter's privacy rights?
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 22:36:13 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Since trap and removal isn't possible here in Berkeley, I'll have to do something else.
Poison isn't an option. Even if it were, you have no guarantee that the animal(s) will/won't die under the house, maybe even in a place I can't access. That would be a REAL problem.
I just decided what will almost surely work:
I'll make a door that has something like a cat-door, but will allow only egress, not ingress. I have a lot of wire screen, stiff stuff, about 3/8" mesh. I'll make a swinging door, mounted from the top so that it will swing out easily when pushed. The animal can easily see the light of day through the wire mesh one-way door. The animal will surely push on it when it gets desperate to go out, which it surely will. Once out, any such animal won't be able to get back in because the door can only be pushed open by the animal from the inside, not lifted open from the outside, such as I can do.
Once a couple of days go by and there are no prints, I can affix my permanent door. Or, even affix the screen tightly to the door on there, actually. Should any other access become available to an animal in the future, I can reseal the other access and then reuse the swinging door in the elimination scenario.
Dan