variable speed drive

I will soon have a well drilled on my property and it is an option to have a variable speed motor controller. I really can't find much information about these controllers on the web, other than industrial applications. I have heard they are more energy efficient and work the pump less and I have heard they are the most overrated and expensive components you can add to your well system. Does any one have any facts. Hell, I'll take opinions too.
Keith
Many of the controller in use throughout industry but not sure its worth the cost for your application. Replacement of the controller would be quite expensive. I use an oversize pressure tank to keep down all the starting and stopping. Without that the pump started every time I got drink of water.

Find out the model number and look on the net for info....or look up variable speed drive well pump........
variable speed drives are more efficient but they are also more prone to break downs and when they do go down they are more expensive to repair than a single speed motor or pump.
Cant say much without much to go on but the above.
Like I said...take the manufacturer and model number and do some research....ask about warranty etc......
some decent info for you
http://www.franklin-electric.com/aid/vol21no1.htm
~:>

. And be sure to use the best lightning protection you can afford. If the pump dies it has to come out of the well. Not an inexpensive job.
Al
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:20:49 -0700, "Hobbs Family"

I assume you are talking about a pressure tank-less system where the drive speed is changed by the controller to maintain the correct pressure. The pump runs anytime there is demand.
The chief (sole?) advantage is they deliver constant pressure, unlike a standard pressure tank setup where the pressure varies from cut-in to cut-out, usually 20-40 or 30-50. So when you are in the shower, the intensity doesn't rise and fall like it does with a pressure tank. When you are in the shower and someone runs the dishwasher or uses the sink, the pump runs faster to deliver more water and maintain pressure better.
Personally, I don't find the pressure change very annoying, but folks used to city water sometimes do. If you find it really annoying, go with the vari-drive. If not, as others have pointed out, a conventional setup is cheaper to install and repair. I doubt there is much energy usage difference either way. It eliminates the maintenance associated with the pressure tank, but modern bladder tanks don't need much anyway.
HTH,
Paul
Hobbs Family wrote:

Hmmm, Common rule of thumb, the fancier it gets, the more trouble.
The sentiment I am picking up on is the benefits of this technology is limited and the potential downside could be expensive. That being said, I am sticking with the traditional setup. Thanks to all.
Keith